Nintendo DSi Anti-Piracy Firmware Defeated, In Less Than A Week!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Nintendo DSi Anti-Piracy Firmware Defeated, In Less Than A Week!

The Nintendo DSi added many features over the original DS, but one of the more controversial feature was the firmware update ability which is being used to crackdown on DS piracy, specifically using flashcarts and the like.

The latest firmware, 1.4, released a week ago banned all known existing flash carts from working. Now this may sound like a huge victory for Nintendo, but those clever flashcart manufacturers were prepared and their flashcarts also now have firmware update capabilities, and it only took them a week this time to defeat the 1.4 firmware safeguards.

While DS piracy is a serious issue, and one that Nintendo needs to address, firmware updates are never going to solve the problem. My philosophy is that if something is playable, and it can be copied. Because if the copy can imitate the behaviour of the original exactly, and the DS won't know and can't know the difference.

Price reductions, more digital downloadable games, downloadable trial versions, can all make the DS more piracy proof. But while it is true that Nintendo may be potentially losing a lot of money through piracy, they aren't exactly on the verge of bankruptcy, are they? Nintendo DS piracy has helped the DS (and DSi) to become the best selling portable gaming device on the market today. It's a similar situation with the PSP, and even Sony, of all companies, has come out and acknowledged that piracy does help sales.

More:

The Nintendo DSi received its 1.4 firmware update less than a week ago. Among other things, it scuppered pirates by blocking all previously compatible flashcarts. But many of these flashcart manufacturers were prepared for just such a scenario, and they've bui...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

If games had a descent price, then the piracy would go down to. Also with what Admin has posted will also help. It will be hard to completely eliminate piracy, it will always be there.
    Last edited by doctorhardware; 8 Aug 2009, 06:51 AM.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Thank god... I had a feeling, though, that the flash cards would be updated, especially with the Supercard having the free lifetime updates policy.

Seriously, though, good riddance at Nintendo... maybe if they started making games worth paying for people would pay for them!!
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
        • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
        Thank god... I had a feeling, though, that the flash cards would be updated, especially with the Supercard having the free lifetime updates policy.

Seriously, though, good riddance at Nintendo... maybe if they started making games worth paying for people would pay for them!!
        Good riddance, yet you are using their hardware?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Yeah.

Just like with the PSP, the hardware is good but the software sucks. The DSi is really quite nice, I'm just waiting for some hacked Homebrew stuff, so I can, say, use the cameras to record video or something...
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...