X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

MPAA Again Asks For HDTV DRM

The MPAA has again tried to close down the so called "analog hole", by asking the FCC for selectable output control for HDTV transmissions. I say again because they've tried this now too long ago, and met with stern opposition from consumer groups and even the former head of the FCC.

What the MPAA wishes is to be able to selectively disable the analog output of your TV or HDTV playback device, so that you cannot use the output to record to VCR or to your computer. For example, whenever a TV station shows a recently released movie, the output would be blocked, whereas for older movies, the output may be enabled. This is in effect DRM for HDTV, and it may necessitate people to yet again upgrade their recently purchased TVs to one that are DRM compatible. HDMI's HDCP already prevents digital copying.

The MPAA's argument is that this is all good for the consumer, because it will then allow them to show movies on TV even faster than currently, as the fear of piracy would be eradicated.

I say kudos to those still using analog to make "pirated" copies of movies, when you can easily go to the Internet to download a copy, or spend a bit of money renting the DVD to make copies from that. It's old school piracy at its best. But seriously, how paranoid must the MPAA be if they're spending considerable resources to fight against VHS piracy in this day and age of digital downloads and Blu-ray's (and yes, analog output can be used to record digitally, but again, why would anyone bother when there are so many easier alternatives?).

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Pirates always figure out how to get around it.

Plus, why would you pirate TV copies? If it's out on DVD, there are already rips floating around the Internet. That is probably the stupidest thinking I've heard in a while, because by the time they show movies it's already been leaked so really adding more DRM will not hinder piracy whatsoever...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Time Warner Cable and the National Cable and Telecommunications Association have come out to support the MPAA's plans to add DRM to DTV (and cable), saying that this will allow movies to come onto cable sooner if the movie cannot be recorded or copied in any way:

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

But au contraire, anybody with a TiVo can do it.

Like, the actual TiVo brand, not the DRM-complaint crap that the cable/satellite company gives out. Those will record in HD and let you transfer to a computer, as far as I know.
        (I prefer TSReader myself...)
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

This is more about preventing analog copying (using composite/component cables).

The broadcast flag (and wikipedia entry) was intended to deal with the digital side of things, to prevent people from transferring recorded digital TV from the recorder/TiVo to the computer, or from making more copies from the same recording.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Yeah but the TV tuner I have ignores such flags

And it's just a standard Hauppauge one too, not some hack... their cards/boxes have been ignoring Macrovision and any other copy protection for as long as I remember...

And seriously, who would analog copy HD content? That's just silly, the whole point of digital was the higher quality, it's like trying to record a 1080p Blu-Ray disc on a VHS...
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

The EFF won a court battle over the issue, and so that has slowed down the implementation of the broadcast flag which has not been made mandatory. I don't think the MPAA will give up so easily though.

Just shows that people have to be willing to fight the bad changes, and sometimes their efforts will pay off (for example, getting rid of DRM on MP3s).

Comment

Working...