X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray Not Coming To Xbox 360, Despite Quote From Ballmer

"Well I don’t know if we need to put Blu-ray in there-you’ll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories."

That's the quote from Microsoft's Steve Ballmer which set the ball rolling on the "Blu-ray coming to Xbox 360" stories.

The only problem was that Ballmer was talking about PCs, not Xbox 360's with the above quote (as clarified by Major Nelson).

This quote, also from Ballmer in the same interview, seems to confirm Microsoft's opinion of Blu-ray on the Xbox 360, versus their support of a digital distribution platform:

"I think mostly the future of movies is on-demand, actually, as opposed to distribution via physical media"

So no, for the millionth time, Blu-ray is not coming to the Xbox 360. It's funny how the same rumour gets told and told again, despite there been very little call for Blu-ray by Xbox 360 owners (and obviously not support from Microsoft), so you've got to wonder why is there such a fascination on putting Blu-ray onto the Xbox 360, as I can't see the need for it. Especially when you consider that the Wii can't even play DVDs, and it's the best selling console in the world.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Especially when you consider that the Wii can't even play DVDs, and it's the best selling console in the world.
    Supposedly there's one in Japan that can.

But I think it's mainly because in America everybody and their brother already has numerous DVD players - at my house we literally have at least one per TV, let alone having a Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 hooked up as well... that's more than one person would ever need.

I remember people buying the PS2 when it came out since it was the best price on a DVD player... but now that you can get one at Wal-Mart for like $30, nobody seems to care if their video game consoles can play them or not.

As far as Blu-Ray support for the Xbox, I've always just figured it was like Microsoft = HD-DVD, Sony = Blu-ray, the two can't co-exist... guess that's true! LOL
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...