X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The Huffington Post: Google Goes "Evil"

Google's slogan has long been "Do No Evil", but according to an article in The Huffington Post, Google has gone to the dark side.

The article is in relation to Google's proposed deal with Verizon, which appears to be a blow to the Net Neutrality campaign that Google has been a key supporter of.

Google and Verizon's deal basically classes Wireless Internet as something that does not need to be protected via Net Neutrality, and that future tech beyond wireless will get even less protection. Without Net Neutrality, large corporations like Google and Verizon can make deals behind closed doors which will give preferential treatment, in terms of bandwidth and access speeds, to websites and contents that they choose. In essence, it means moving from a public Internet model, to a two tiered model featuring the "old" Internet, and a "new" private one for premium services and content.

Some critics have called the reactions to this proposal hysteria, since Net Neutrality is a fairly vague concept. For example, if your ISP provided a cache of the most popular YouTube content and offer faster access to this cache, then does this break Net Neutrality, since YouTube content is being given preferential treatment over content from other video networks. But the ISP will argue that since YouTube is the most popular, caching would be most effective for it, and the faster access is beneficial for end users, and not just a cost effective solution for the ISP. Of course, when ISPs start to prioritize cached traffic over non cached traffic (ie. slow access speeds to non cached content in order to improve performance of cached content), then users might have more to complain about.

Petition to Google: Don't be Evil:

The Huffington Post article:

Following a conference call with Google CEO Eric Schmidt and Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg I can now say that Google, a company that I've long admired and currently hold thousands of dollars of stock in, just "went evil."

PC World: 5 red flags of the Google/Verizon deal:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Saw this Google and Verizon Tag Team coming for a while now. I just chucked Verizon for that very same reason. I was paying just as much and was going to pay more for less speed overall than what I'm getting w/Time Warner now. My download speeds can go anywhere from 26Mbps. to 30Mbps. depending on the overall net traffic. Verizon's best at about $5.00 less was only 1Mbp tops.

Asa I saw the Verizon search bar powered by Google in my Verizon email account I knew it was over. They're both some of the biggest crooks out today. Props again for using the law to their advantage albeit at the consumers expense.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

The RIAA and related groups, the few that actually support Google/Verizon's attack on Net Neutrality, wants anti-piracy measures to be put in as part of the Google/Verizon deal:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Well I read up a lil on that Net Neutrality and it is tstl confusing. However it's clear what Verizon and Google are doing here. I live near City Hall not that close, though not far either. Now Verizon Fios is available 4 to 5 blocks away from me but not where I'm at. No timeline either when it would be. So basically wherever they feel they should lay down the new lines is where they'll go. There's all sorts of new private plans going on now where you can get 50Mbps and over speed for a set price. I don't know what to make of all this until I start getting bottlenecked. I'm w/Time Warner now so I'm good. Don't see Time Warner being bought out by either Verizon or Google any time soon.

Now overall this is bad for the average Joe who either can't afford the Internet or has no clue what's going on. Wireless I just have limited knowledge myself as I just hooked up a wired/wireless router not 3 months yet. So pricing for services etc... I have no clue. I also don't know how they can monitor wireless anyway w/their proposed new plan. Block the signals?

Otn, I'm not too happy w/the Democratic incumbents right now and so froze on signing this petition. If I decide to though is this site going to send my name all over the net? Not that it hasn't already via Google's monitoring. Thnx.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Well the Verizon/Google partnership didn't waste any time getting started. If you use Gmail you should see a new free phone call feature for free calls w/in the USA and Canada and low International rates. Something had to be in the works. This is just the beginning I guess of further ventures between the two.

Comment

Working...