Sony adds BDXL support to its Blu-ray players - is the PS3 obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Sony adds BDXL support to its Blu-ray players - is the PS3 obsolete?

Sony will add BDXL support to its Blu-ray players in Japan. These players also feature 3D support, and include built-in HDDs for recording TV shows.

This follows the earlier news that manufacturer Sharp was also bringing BDXL compatible Blu-ray recorder to the market.

While it's still unclear whether BDXL read support is coming to US, European Blu-ray players or not, and whether movie studios will be embracing the format, for once, the PS3 is being left behind as the Blu-ray specifications gets updated again.

The Blu-ray specifications has already been updated 3 times (profile 1.0 to 1.1, 1.1 to 2.0, and 2.0 to 3D) since the format's launch in 2006, each time leaving standalone players obsolete in its wake, but the PS3 has stood firm and has managed to keep up through various software updates. But the PS3 will not gain BDXL support as this is a hardware issue, not a software one.

So if Sony, and other firms, gradually adds BDXL read support to its Blu-ray player range, then the PS3 may be left behind.

However, since BDXL is extremely unlikely to be adopted by studios to distribute movies, this may not be a huge miss for the PS3, although the lack of ability to play self-burnt BDXL discs, while other standalones can, may be deal breaker for some.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Heck, I can't even get my PS3 to play burned BD-RE discs... they work fine on my computer but the PS3 says there's no disc in there. It does work with BD-R...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...