X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

PSN Update: Still Down, Sales May Go Down, But OtherOS Back Up

So with Sony looking like missing their own deadline to bring PSN back, even in a limited fashion, by the end of the week (although they still have a day to keep good on that promise), there are a couple of other news items that won't be celebrated at Sony HQ.

First up is the financial consequences for Sony with such an extended down time, plus more importantly, the lost of trust that has occurred due to the data leak.

CitiGroup Global Markets Analyst, Kota Ezawa released research notes which point to a painful future, at least in the short term, for Sony and the PlayStation brand, in particularly the PS3. Ezawa feels that customers may no longer feel safe when using Sony hardware and services, and this could affect PS3 sales. At the very least, not having a working online component would have affected sales in the last two and a bit weeks.

The bigger problem for Sony is that there are ready made alternatives available in a very competitive market, and the problem is compounded by the fact that many already perceive the Xbox Live paid for service to be better than what Sony can offer. And with online gaming, "the more the merrier" is certainly key, with gamers often opting for the platform their friends are on, and if there is a shift towards the Xbox 360, then it will continue to hurt the PS3 in the mid to long term.

The other piece of news that Sony would not have welcomed relates back to how this "hackers vs Sony" got started in the first place. Sony's removal of OtherOS on the PS3, a feature they heavily promoted, which they then later removed with little notice, was the catalyst that eventually led to the hacking of the PS3, Sony's lawsuit against the hackers, and then Anonymous' and other hackers attacks on Sony servers in retaliation, which may have contributed to the recent, more serious, security breach. OtherOS allows Linux to be run on the PS3, and ironically, while the PS3's online component is completely crippled this week, hackers have managed to bring back OtherOS support, and even improve upon it.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The full list of features for the new and improved OtherOS can be found below:
    • Into HV integrated OtherOS bootloader loader (compatible with OtherOS bootloader on 3.15)
    • OtherOS bootloader is booted directly from HV, no GameOS is involved.
    • Process of booting OtherOS bootloader loader is very similar to 3.15 method
    • Booting Linux from HDD/USB/BD/Network
    • Linux with GameOS rights
    • Full access to all HV SS services (Dispatcher Manager) from GameOS or Linux
    • Full access to all System Manager services
    • Ability to create/modify/remove repository nodes in LPAR 1 (e.g. with ps3dm-utils or ps3hvc-utils).
    • This ability gives you much power over the whole system because many layers of PS3 use repository nodes to exchange information.
    • Enabled QA mode in Update Manager
    • Downgrading without USB dongle or Service Mode
    • Ability to deactivate/activate HDD/VFLASH encryption (e.g. with ps3stor-utils)
    • Support for ps3-utils. You can flash new OtherOS bootloader from Linux e.g.

Download:

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Hmm, so how would I do this? I'm still running the old official firmware with it built in.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

I think this is for the hacked firmware, and it's not so straightforward to install. I'm sure something simpler and less likely to cause problems would get released soon.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

So is it worth upgrading the firmware for or should I just stick to my old version and wait until there's a better homebrew?
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
            So is it worth upgrading the firmware for or should I just stick to my old version and wait until there's a better homebrew?
            We cant answer that for you. It is something you need to research and decide for yourself, based on your understanding of the process and the desired results.

Comment

• Budreaux
              • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by admin
              The other piece of news that Sony would not have welcomed relates back to how this "hackers vs Sony" got started in the first place. Sony's removal of OtherOS on the PS3, a feature they heavily promoted, which they then later removed with little notice, was the catalyst that eventually led to the hacking of the PS3, Sony's lawsuit against the hackers, and then Anonymous' and other hackers attacks on Sony servers in retaliation, which may have contributed to the recent, more serious, security breach. OtherOS allows Linux to be run on the PS3, and ironically, while the PS3's online component is completely crippled this week, hackers have managed to bring back OtherOS support, and even improve upon it.
              All I'm gonna say is...."I told you so..."
              The REAL talent isn't being paid in this hobby. Piss em off and it'll cost ya more in the long run.

Comment

• Budreaux
                • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by admin
                The full list of features for the new and improved OtherOS can be found below:
                • Into HV integrated OtherOS bootloader loader (compatible with OtherOS bootloader on 3.15)
                • OtherOS bootloader is booted directly from HV, no GameOS is involved.
                • Process of booting OtherOS bootloader loader is very similar to 3.15 method
                • Booting Linux from HDD/USB/BD/Network
                • Linux with GameOS rights
                • Full access to all HV SS services (Dispatcher Manager) from GameOS or Linux
                • Full access to all System Manager services
                • Ability to create/modify/remove repository nodes in LPAR 1 (e.g. with ps3dm-utils or ps3hvc-utils).
                • This ability gives you much power over the whole system because many layers of PS3 use repository nodes to exchange information.
                • Enabled QA mode in Update Manager
                • Downgrading without USB dongle or Service Mode
                • Ability to deactivate/activate HDD/VFLASH encryption (e.g. with ps3stor-utils)
                • Support for ps3-utils. You can flash new OtherOS bootloader from Linux e.g.

Download:

http://gitbrew.org/otheros/
                The funny thing here is the release of this hacked/modified firmware, is enough to pull a huge community that will use it in ways never intended or expected. I can see this option actually balancing the loss in sales with generated sales for the use of this firmware in hometheater applications.

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

Sony have always insisted that pulling OtherOS was based on financial reasons. I wonder what was the total financial damage of all the things that their original decision has led to (PS3 hack, PSN hack ...) ... it would have been much cheaper I think to have just hired a team of programmers to maintain official OtherOS support on the PS3, and not take away a feature that was heavily promoted and that people have specifically paid for.

Comment

Working...