Disney Delay "DVD-only" release of 'On Stranger Tides', To Promote Blu-ray, Combo

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Disney Delay "DVD-only" release of 'On Stranger Tides', To Promote Blu-ray, Combo

Is this the beginning of the end for the DVD format?

Disney is set to shun the format that has bought the studio so much financial gain over the last decade, and instead, opting to promote the Blu-ray and combo versions of their next big release, 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides'.

While Disney are not strangers, if you pardon the pun, to delaying "DVD-only" releases to promote their Blu-ray combos, this is a first for such an A-list release, for any studio. Previously, Disney has only been content in using this kind of release schedule for their classic animated releases, titles like Snow White and Bambi.

And perhaps even more controversially, there's no "Blu-ray-only" release either of 'On Stranger Tides', just two different combo versions.

With so much at risk, this new release strategy could backfire and alienate the estimated 80% of consumers that still prefer DVDs. However, with recent releases such as Sucker Punch punching above their weight, and the Blu-ray market share average, by selling the majority of their copies on the HD format, it may not be such a big risk after all.

The two editions available in October, one will be the 3 disc Blu-ray+DVD combo version (available in both Blu-ray packaging, and DVD packaging for confused DVD buyers wondering why the movie isn't available for purchase), while the other is the huge 5-disc edition that also includes the Blu-ray 3D and Digital Copy editions of the film, which is currently selling for only $4 more than the standard combo on Amazon.

The DVD-only edition arrives almost a month later, in November.

(Story Source)
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

not owning a BluRay player, I'm totaly oblivious to BluRay or dvd purchases as I prefer to rent or obtain movies in other ways..

what is the average price[US] for a new movie release in dvd vrs Blu?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

It varies, especially with so many editions around, but let's take something like Rango, the DVD only version is $15.99 (on Amazon), and the Blu-ray+DVD combo version is $19.99, so a $4 premium, but you do get the digital copy version on the combo set as well. I think this is a fairly typical pricing scenario. Also, the Blu-ray (or combo) edition tends to be equivalent to the 2-disc DVD edition (if one exists) in terms of extra features.

This is for new releases, for older releases, anything is possible. For example, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is $9.99 for the Blu-ray+DVD combo, but $9.49 for the DVD only edition, so you can get the Blu-ray version for 50 cents extra, which is probably why it's the current top Blu-ray seller on Amazon at the moment. There are even cases where the Blu-ray version ends up being cheaper than the DVD version, and sometimes where even the combo version is cheaper than the DVD only edition - for example, at the moment, The Social Network's 2-disc Blu-ray is $2 more than the single DVD edition, but $2 less than the equivalent (extra feature wise) 2-disc DVD edition.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...