X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Valve's Gabe Newell: Better Service Key To Piracy Fight, Free-To-Play Works

Valve's Gabe Newell says the "easiest way to stop piracy" is by providing the same services pirates have been providing gamers, and that this will be more effective than using technological measures to prevent piracy.

Newell told audiences at the North to Innovation conference in Seattle that the piracy problems is partially due to developer and publisher's not providing the ease of use gamers require, with gamers having to resort to pirated versions to satisfy their needs.

Speaking specifically about the Russian market, which was once known as a haven for pirates, is now Steam's second most profitable continental European market. And Newell says that this is due to making localization a priority, by releasing a Russian language version of games before the pirates are able to, and criticised publishers for not doing enough for the Russian market before "The people who are telling you that Russians pirate everything are the people who wait six months to localize their product into Russian," said Newell.

Newell also re-iterated Valve's support of the "free-to-play" business model, where games are released for free to gamers, with purchasable in-game items and transactions providing the revenue stream. While publishers have often scoffed at this particular revenue model, due to what they say are low conversion rates (typically 1 to 3 percent of gamers actually buy something in-game), Newell says their stats for the free-to-play game Team Fortress 2 says otherwise. "We see about a 20 to 30 percent conversion rate of people who are playing those games who buy something", Newell added, but did point out that the high conversion rate was a bit of a mystery to him as well. "All we know is we’re going to keep running these experiments to try and understand better what it is that our customers are telling us."
    Last edited by admin; 30 Oct 2011, 09:52 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

All of my friends who are addicted to TF2 end up spending all their money on hats and other pointless addons for that game so I'll say the free game itself is making them some money

Also, someone should tell Gabe that people also appreciate games being released on a timely manner and not "Valve Time", that might help prevent piracy too LOL. But on a serious note, I tend to agree with most of Valve's philosophies. If only their Steam client didn't have random errors every few days, that would be awesome.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...