X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Swiss Government: Piracy Is Legal For Personal Use

A government report in Switzerland has that there's hardly any financial damage to piracy, and as a result, the government has decide to keep piracy legal.

Despite 1 in 3 Swiss citizens, over the age of 15, engaged in some for of web related piracy, the government says that as long as the piracy is for personal use, and not for commercial (re-sell) reasons.

While rights holder will already be angry at the Swiss government's actions, which is out of step with other government around the world that have been taking tougher approaches to online copyright, the report also criticizes rights holders for overreacting to the web piracy problem. It asks rights holders to use the web to their advantage, or face being "losers" if they hold on to their outdated business models.

And on the financial damage to piracy, the report found that despite high piracy rates, spending of disposable income on entertainment has stayed constant - people are still spending all the money they have on entertainment products, concerts and merchandise, it's just that the Internet, via piracy, now allows them to get content that they otherwise would not have been capable of buying due to financial restrictions.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

I like it. Well written.
    Now if the USA could hop on board with a similar policy.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Basically, this.

I've also been in debates about whether it's right to pirate old (out of print) games for consoles like PlayStation, Sega Dreamcast etc etc... the company isn't making them anymore so how should it be punishable to just download them? Same goes with the Nintendo DS flash carts - as far as I know, Nintendo isn't making "regular" DS games anymore, they're now all for 3DS, so what's the big deal?
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Other country's copyright laws do actually take into account the commercial availability of titles, and fair use in these countries sometimes allows you to download these types of titles legally.

The US Copyright Office did relax rules in regards to breaking DRM on abandonware back in 2006, in that you can do it legally for "archival" purposes, whatever that means.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

That doesn't stop the companies from getting upset though.

Places like Nintendo and Sony are selling their old games through the virtual console shops and expect people to pay money for games they already own due to removing legacy support on the consoles. At least Microsoft is fairly good about letting you play original Xbox games on an Xbox 360 (and you can even download the popular ones as games on demand, but by no means have to if you have the disc...)
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...