X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Angry Birds Dev: Piracy May Help Us

The studio responsible for the global hit, Angry Birds, says piracy is not thing that concerns them, and that it may actually help generate revenue.

Pointing to the music industry as an example of "what not to do" when it comes to dealing with the web piracy problem, Rovio's chief executive Mikael Hed warned of the "futile" attempts to sue web pirates, because pirates are not necessarily harming the Angry Birds brand.

"We could learn a lot from the music industry, and the rather terrible ways the music industry has tried to combat piracy," said Hed.

But if piracy can help build the Angry Birds brand, to get more people to be interested in the game, whether they paid for it or not, then it's not something that should be fought. "Piracy may not be a bad thing: it can get us more business at the end of the day," added Hed.

But Hed says that there are also lessons to learn from the music business, and the important distinction between "customers" and "fans". "We took something from the music industry, which was to stop treating the customers as users, and start treating them as fans. We do that today: we talk about how many fans we have. If we lose that fanbase, our business is done, but if we can grow that fanbase, our business will grow."
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

That's 100% true.

I got Angry Birds for free - though completely legally, through an Android Market promotional giveaway. I also have Angry Birds HD for my HP TouchPad which I got during that fire-sale.

It's an effective strategy, because then I went and paid for Angry Birds Seasons after getting the regular one for free. If I were to have pirated it, I'd probably still buy the game after playing it, due to how obnoxious it is to update pirated Android stuff.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...