X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

80% of Users With Connected Blu-ray Players Are Streaming Content, NPD

New data from research group NPD has revealed that an absolute majority of all Blu-ray users with Internet connected players are using their players to streaming Internet content.

Blu-ray players became the perfect trojan horse for Internet video streaming, thanks to the built-in Net connectivity in most players, and the ability to install apps. This has allowed Netflix, Hulu and other streaming video-on-demand services to establish a foothold in people's homes, without having to rollout their own set-top boxes.

Just how many homes are actually using the "smart" functions on their Blu-ray players, and other connected devices, is not something easy to find out. But data from last year showed a dramatic jump in the bandwidth usage of services like Netflix, and so, along with game consoles, connected Blu-ray players seems to be amongst the most popular ways to access video content online.

And the NPD's latest data not only confirms this. 80% of those surveyed who have a Net connected Blu-ray player say they've used it for streaming content - this compares to 69% of connected TV users, and 64% of connected game console users. While this does not prove that most people are getting their online fix from Blu-ray players - gamers are more likely to have their consoles connected online than your average Blu-ray user - it does seem to indicate a rather dramatic shift towards online content.

Online viewing on tablets and smartphones still lag somewhat behind, with only 15% of users actually using services like Netflix and Hulu, but this number is growing, says the NPD.

And there are also signs of the on-going "mainstreaming" of online viewing. "Once primarily the domain of tech-savvy young male early adopters, downloading entertainment content to tablets, TVs and game consoles is now much more common among regular American moms, dads - and their kids, too," explained Russ Crupnick, SVP of industry analysis for The NPD Group.

And it's not just video. 1 in 3 smartphone and connected TV users now stream music or listen to Internet radio stations.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I've got both a PS3 and a Samsung Blu-Ray player that does streaming video (actually bought it refurbished from Woot! for like $75 a couple years ago which was an amazing deal).

Problem I ran into was it's still nowhere near as easy as a computer, the content is very limited and not free. YouTube restricts a lot of its stuff, if it contains copyrighted music/videos/etc so that you can't watch them on a mobile device (Blu-Ray players are counted, if I recall correctly). My family actually has a Blockbuster unlimited subscription, but unlike Netflix the streaming isn't free and it costs like $15 to stream a movie, which is absurd when I can just get the disc for free.

The other big turn-off for me is the lack of closed captioning. FCC law (I think it's FCC at least) says that movies released on home video or shown on TV have to have closed captioning for hearing-impaired people. I'm not hearing-impaired by any stretch of the imagination, but I like having captions so I can easily understand what's being said.
    So far, none of the streaming services like Netflix and such offer it. Whereas if I just rent the DVD or Blu-Ray, they do.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I've tried Amazon Prime Instant streaming on the PS3, and while it's not what you would call easy to use, it's still quite functional (and once a movie/show starts, it's no different to watching a DVD, really). They really need to make the app navigation and text input a lot easier on Blu-ray/TVs, although my new Samsung TV does support Bluetooth keyboards/mouse, and there is a keyboard accessory, so I think that's where things are headed.

But yeah, the lack of subtitles is a shame. I've tried the BBC iPlayer, and it has subtitles support, which is very handy (I too also like to have subtitles whenever possible, makes it a lot easier to understand what's going on - actors mumble too much these days, or there are too many background SFX).

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

BBC iPlayer is restricted to the UK only as far as I know, and I'm not bothered enough to use proxies.

Hulu and the US equivalents don't do subtitles
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

They're all restricted here in Australia, so I use a DNS redirect service (Unblock-US) to get both UK and US content. Still works out to be way way cheaper than any Australian equivalent (which is not equivalent, because there's hardly any content).

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

And this is precisely the reason people pirate. It's easier to just find free content than jump through hoops to do it legally.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Yes, and it's exactly why Australia is #1 when it comes to 'Game of Thrones' piracy!

Comment

Working...