X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Company Obtains Patent For 3D Printer DRM

The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office has granted a patent to a company headed by a former Microsoft CTO that aims to add DRM to 3D printable objects.

The company, Intellectual Ventures, submitted an application for their 'Manufacturing control system', which forces 3D printers to acquire authorisation before allowing the printing of objects, using a digital fingerprint system.

The emergence of 3D printing has many rights holder worried, that it could make the copying of physical objects as easy as the copying (and sharing) of digital items today. Their fear was heightened when The Pirate Bay launched their "physibles" section, dedicated to providing digital schematics for 3D printers that would allow anything from toys to models to even a copy of Mark Zuckerberg's head, to be 3D printable.

Interestingly, the new patent not only covers the printing of plastic and plastic based items, but also edible items, and even human skin.

And so The Pirate Bay's stated altruistic goals behind their "physibles" section, of being able to one day "print food for hungry people", may seem even more unreachable today, thanks to the new use of an old enemy: DRM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

LOL, this whole thing just seems silly.

But hey, let's just hope the DRM-free food will be as nutritious as the DRM'ed food
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...