X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Netflix: Global Licensing, Winning Against Piracy and 4K

An interview conducted by Stuff magazine with Netflix's Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos has yielded some very interesting tidbits about the streaming service.

Sarandos confirmed what many had suspected, that whenever Netflix moves into a new territory, the piracy rate drops to reflect the changing behavior of users. "When we launch in a territory the Bittorrent traffic drops as the Netflix traffic grows," Sarandos explains.

The reason Sarandos says for the shift from free to paying legit is all about giving people what they want, and that, he says, is the best way to fight piracy. "The best way to combat piracy isn't legislatively or criminally but by giving good options," says Sarandos.

One issue still bugging users is the differences in content between the various Netflix territories, with the US viewers seemingly getting the best deal in terms of variety and timeliness. One workaround is to get a geo-unblocking service like Unblock-Us, which then lets you bypass region locks and choose which Netflix region you want access to. But Sarandos is working hard behind the scenes to ensure this will not be an issue in the, perhaps distant, future.

"The window of time between US broadcast and international availability is a gap and a problem everywhere. My goal is to make licensing much more global so the service has more global availability. All our original stuff is available on all our international sites and we're moving more towards ubiquitous global licencing. It'll take years, unfortunately – but that's what we're steering towards," said Sarandos.

And as for whether 4K will be coming to Netflix soon, Sarandos said that it was perhaps a bit too early to speculate on the next evolution of HD. With Blu-ray discs currently unable to carry 4K content without breaking compatibility, and the industry reluctant to introduce yet another physical format, could 4K become a streaming only format?

"If it evolves as a streaming only format it’ll be very interesting," Sarandos hinted.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I doubt anyone really has the bandwidth to do 4K streaming, at least not in America.

And Netflix better get their act together because their movie selection is AWFUL. I signed up for a free month and every movie I thought of to search for wasn't there. Sure, they have TV shows, but even then - old seasons that are nowhere near up to date.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I think 4K can be doable once enough people have real world speeds of 15-20 Mbps, which is nothing for people already on fiber. By the time 4K TVs become affordable, I think connection speeds will be fast enough by then.

It is interesting that Sarandos chose to mention 4K being a "streaming only format". Since Blu-ray can't do 4K without breaking backwards compatibility via a new codec or a new disc format (eg. BDXL), and I don't think anybody in the industry really wants a new disc format, "streaming only" makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

I don't think 15-20mbps would really be enough for 4K... at least not without it looking like an awful, pixelated mess... I've got 15mbps at my house and can barely stream 720p (most of our HDTV networks are 10-15mbps) without it constantly buffering.

Granted that mpeg2 isn't as efficient as MPEG4, but even then... look at the Blu-Ray format, that uses insanely high bitrates too, way more than 15-20mbps. Not counting audio.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Good quality 4K should be doable with HEVC at that bitrate:

Visual Test: HEVC Much Better Than H.264 | News - Digital Digest

A lot of Blu-ray titles now go down to as low as 16 Mbps on average, due to all the extra features and multiple versions (some without using seamless branching) that they cram onto the same disc. The average is usually less than 25 Mbps, I think.

Comment

Working...