X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Microsoft May Release White Xbox One, And Budget Version Without Disc Drive

Rumors suggest Microsoft may release a white version of the Xbox One in time for 2014's holiday shopping season, and controversially, a budget version of the Xbox One that forgoes the Blu-ray disc drive.

The budget Xbox One, said to be in testing by Microsoft, would solely rely on digitally downloaded content but would cost less than the current pricing of $499. The budget Xbox One could cost the same or less than the PS4, which retails for $399.

Another rumor suggests a 1TB model of the Xbox One is also in the works for a November release, while the white Xbox One could be released a month earlier. A white version of the Xbox One does exist already, a special edition model given to selected employees at Microsoft engraved with the words "I made this". One such white Xbox One sold for more than $11,000 when it was put up for auction on eBay.

These and other rumors, such as a April launch for the Xbox One in the important market of Japan, were reported by The Verge.

Responding to these rumors, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter labeled the drive-less Xbox One one of the "dumbest ideas of all time".

"I have three words for this idea — dumb, dumb, dumb," said Pachter in a note to investors. Pachter says the move will alienate retailers like GameStop, whose gaming business relies on the continued use of discs.

Pachter was also skeptical as to whether a $399 drive-less Xbox One would be competitive with the PS4. "In our view, of the two $399 options, the PS4 would be the more popular, as it would include a disc drive, giving the purchaser the option of trading in or selling his games when he chooses. In addition, a disc-less box prevents the gamer from playing the disc-based games he has already purchased, limits portability, and decreases his ability to use his PowerUp Rewards credits," Pachter wrote.

Microsoft is also planning a major dashboard for the Xbox One in March to fix outstanding issues, a rumor that has been separately verified by The Verge.
    Last edited by admin; 31 Jan 2014, 08:31 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Definitely need a 1TB drive already. That's the thing that annoyed me the most about the Xbox One was that the hard drive is STILL not upgradable unlike PS3 and PS4.

Otherwise, I'm happy with my normal black Xbox One.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...