KaZaA & other P2P......Blocking up broadband and slowing you down? BT say so.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KillRoy
    • Feb 2003

Basicly it comes down to this...

You buy your internet connection from your ISP. Your ISP does not say you can DL so much MB's per month, no they say we dont have a DL limit per month, we have a Fair Use Policy..

FUP means you can do whatever you want with internet. and if you DL more MB's in one month that usual thats ok, but HOWEVER, if you DL more MB's every month your not fairly using your internet connection (meaning you are taking too much bandwidth resulting slower internet connections for other ppl who are connection to the same node...

Well how much CAN you DL then you ask? well it depends on what your ISP thinks is fair, and this is the trick...

Normaly your ISP buys bandwidth, they only have that. they say if we have a connection where 5 ppl can use the bandwith 24/7 at a full bandwith usage with no problems, they rent the line to 50 ppl. Because NO-one would use a internet connection 24/7 at full bandwidth. The chance that ALL 50 ppl would use the connection at the same time at full bandwidth is not that big. This is what they call FUP....

So if you dont like it, get another ISP, but they would do the same! If you want full bandwidth get a 1on1 SDSL, but it's gonna cost ya!

Hope you understand this, because my English is not that good

Comment

• SKD_Tech
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2003

My DL per month is an outrageous number I forgot what it was but it was above 10 gigs a month. And that is for 50 bucks a month which isn't a bad price at all (USD)

Comment

• KillRoy
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by SKD_Tech
        My DL per month is an outrageous number I forgot what it was but it was above 10 gigs a month. And that is for 50 bucks a month which isn't a bad price at all (USD)
        Not bad at all...

I'm at a cable connection 1536/128 kbps for 55 Euro ($ 60) they have no limits, at leased I download what i want and they have not bothered me. Some people did get a warning over here, but they DL like 30 to 60 Gig a month. They were cut down to a max of 3 gig, and if they got over 3 Gig they were cut out...

Well, at leased you get a warning fist

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

I just found out what the d/l cap is (33gigs)

Comment

• moviezdude
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by khp
            The thing is, when you use your connection so heavily that it might affect other users....
            Well, they shouldn't be double-booking the lines then. If they have 200MBPS of bandwidth, and they sell 350MBPS, then I STILL WANT MY 1.5MBPS! They just need to lay more line. What you're saying is that if I use my connection to the fullest, for example, downloading Linux ISO's constantly, then I'M WRONG?
            You're dead wrong, KSP!
            Edit - After reading recent posts:
            Yes, there is a certain amount of double booking that can be done. But, if I want to use what I paid for to the fullest, I paid for it , so I should get it.
            Last edited by moviezdude; 8 Mar 2003, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by moviezdude
              Well, they shouldn't be double-booking the lines then. If they have 200MBPS of bandwidth, and they sell 350MBPS, then I STILL WANT MY 1.5MBPS! They just need to lay more line. What you're saying is that if I use my connection to the fullest, for example, downloading Linux ISO's constantly, then I'M WRONG?
              You're dead wrong, KSP!
              Well, if the ISP only sold as much bandwidth as they had upload capacity, and the backbones only sold dedicated lines, your internet connection would be several orders of magnitude more expensive.
              You are basically saying that you want a dedicated 1.5mbps pipe all to yourself. How wide do you expect this to extend ?. Ultimatly you would need to extend it to every other online computer in the world. Which would ofcourse cost several trillion $. I doubt the market for that kind of connections is very big.

That being said, it is possible to buy dedicated pipes, with a specific mbps that you can use, as much as you want. The thing is that, connections like that, are point to point. For example you could buy a dedicated 1.5mbps link between london and new york. But I'am warning you, lines like that are extremely expensive.
              Last edited by khp; 8 Mar 2003, 04:03 PM.
              Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
              http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Sinealma
                • Mar 2003

Re:

Perhaps I am very sleepy and missed something or am going download mad, which i wille xplain. Y'all are complaining about a slow down from 2 point something megabits to 1.2 megabits? A slow down from 1 point something megabits to 400K? as a dialup user, i'd kill for 400k because neither dsl or cable is available where i live.
                Like, I said, please excuse me, but i am extremely tired and trying to download 3 files that are over 700 megs on dialup is a real pain in the behind.

Comment

• gd_nimrod
                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by SKD_Tech
                  Outrageuous for you, maybe. Even if its 33 gigs like you said in your other post. For me, 100 gigs/month wouldnt be hard to do. I downloaded 103gigs and uploaded 120gigs the first month i got broadband So you can see how these damn caps affect me
                  Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
                  http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
                  http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

I looked up so info and you know how much it would be for me to move up to 100 gigs a month?? 3.84(USD) I just increased it lol

Comment

• moviezdude
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by khp
                      are basically saying that you want a dedicated 1.5mbps pipe all to yourself.
                      No, I just want the bandwidth I paid for. If I pay for 1.5/256k, and I get 1/50k, how is that fair?
                      *fair

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2003

It really isn't fair. But there is no way to keep control of the ISP's. The more demand they have from other customers either 2 things can happen

1. They lay more line...

2. They keep cutting down on other users thinking that they don't know about it..

Reason number 2 is what they will usually do. It's quite simple. They want PROFIT. They don't want to have to spend more. That means less money for them.

Comment

• allentron
                          • Dec 2001

you are all wrong

People!!!
                          All I see is that you are all being screwed!

All ISPs from where i live (Puerto Rico) learned there lesson on false promotion.

if they offer you whatever MB connection then you have the right to use it at it's fullest. YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT!

They cannot offer a 1.5Mb connection to 50 people when there total bandwidth is 50Mb.

You guys better read your contracts again.

Many ISPs here went out of business because of that.

That is why I pay the "right" price for my aDSL.
                          A 256/128 connection from Verizon at 59.95

Your ISP already made the mistake of giving it to you so cheap.

Comment

• moviezdude
                            • Feb 2003

Re: you are all wrong

[QUOTE]Originally posted by allentron
                            People!!!

Quite right! It is a ripoff not to get what we paid for!

Originally posted by allentron
                            Your ISP already made the mistake of giving it to you so cheap. [/B]
                            Yeah, and thats THEIR problem, not ours. We paid for it, we shuld get it.
                            me ---> <----- charter communications
                            sorry to whoever I stole that from

Comment

• gd_nimrod
                              • Nov 2002

Re: you are all wrong

Originally posted by allentron
                              People!!!

All ISPs from where i live (Puerto Rico) learned there lesson on false promotion.
                              Where are you in P.R?
                              Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
                              http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
                              http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• KillRoy
                                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by moviezdude
                                You're dead wrong, KSP!
                                Edit - After reading recent posts:
                                Yes, there is a certain amount of double booking that can be done. But, if I want to use what I paid for to the fullest, I paid for it , so I should get it.
                                You did not pay for the 24/7 deal... read the small print...

Comment

Working...