X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Originally posted by chickeneater

I did as what khp said, and I got knoppix and I am running it right now on my xp box. This is fun!
    That's great , anyone how is even remotely curious about linux should try this.

As I posted above, it can run without storing anything on the HardDisk, so you can take linux for a test drive, without risking any damage to your current setup. There is absolut no excuse for not trying this.

But lets not turn this into some demeted discussion about which OS is better. If you don't like linux, fine by me, you are free to go back to the hole you crawled out of.
    Last edited by khp; 9 Mar 2003, 04:49 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• t3ch
      H4x0r of Gibsons
      • Mar 2003

I did as what khp said, and I got knoppix and I am running it right now on my xp box. This is fun!
      lol

*sigh* I miss linux... I had to go back to 56k and I didn't realize I had a WINmodem
      OGSTH! my webpage
      ----------------------------
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• alcskid
        Movie Lovers
        • Jan 2003

Beware for driver compatibility at UNIX OS family.

I just want to say be carefull before you mesh up your notebook cause I already had a nightmare looking for UNIX peripheral drivers.

That's why your vendor put Windows XX compatible sticker, cause they don't support for UNIX drivers if you ask for their support.

Some standard driver may replace and work well, but some special function at your peripherals may not revealed with standard driver.

Good luck.
        ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• chickeneater
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2002

the average person right now has been and will be blinded by the windows corporation. Too bad that they don't sell computers (cheaper) with linux installed. Linux is free, so you don't have spend $200USD on crap that blindfolds you from the truth...

Even I can easily see the difference between good OS's and bad OS's. And I am only an 8th Grader. I want to get Redhat, but I don't have any hard drive space, so I get knoppix.
          FFDShow filters
          Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• McMillan
            • Feb 2003

You see, the price for linux is free, but if you are intending to do something more than just bragg about having a neat and free system and think about getting something done, you have to learn how to use it. Personally I had SUSE v.8.0 installed, and I was sooo dissapointed becase, even though I have really wide knowledge on windows (MCP ) I had a hard time figuring out on how the hell he manages files (HD???) not to mention the need to compile all sort of crap in order to make it work... And if you need someone to teach you how to use Linux, you'd have to pay - so much for free stuff... at least windows is filled with I'm-an-idiot-and-have-never-used-a-mouse-so-is-it-dangerous-to-keep-a-cat-near-the-comp stuff...
            c ya
            ...this MIGHT not be the best picture that I have...

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by McMillan
              And if you need someone to teach you how to use Linux, you'd have to pay
              I guess you haven't noticed the tons of free support forums and guides, around the web. I have yet to run into a problem, I couldn't find an answer for by doing a simple google search.

Admittedly SUSE is probably not the most user friendly, but afaik it's not intended to be. If you want something newbie friendly, to setup and use get redhat8.
              Last edited by khp; 12 Mar 2003, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• t3ch
                H4x0r of Gibsons
                • Mar 2003

People don't seem to realize that linux is a completely new OS.... it's in no-windows land. I've known some guys who installed it and got mad cause they didn't know what to do; you can't expect to be an expert within a day.

Certainly none of us were windows masters within a few days.
                OGSTH! my webpage
                ----------------------------
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• alcskid
                  Movie Lovers
                  • Jan 2003

But you can be a master within 7 days only if you use Macintosh !
                  (Said Apple dealer !)
                  ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• chickeneater
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by alcskid
                    But you can be a master within 7 days only if you use Macintosh !
                    (Said Apple dealer !)
                    Assuming that that was sarcasm

Linux isn't that hard to learn, and get used to. I learned knoppix in a few hours and I got the hang of it. I am now wanting something more permanent that I can use on a daily basis. I want Redhat Linux because It is good and easy to use. I need to get another HD because mine only has 10GB and I have less than 1.5 GB left.
                    Last edited by chickeneater; 13 Mar 2003, 02:57 AM.
                    FFDShow filters

Comment

• McMillan
                      • Feb 2003

When I come to think of it, you need as much as 3.0GB to run SUSE with some additional applications. What in heaven's name you have on your PC that MUST be there? I mean, you've occupied over 7.5GB??
                      I have even some heavy duty programs (COREL, OFFICE, AUTOCAD, MATHCAD) and still keep it under 3GB... If you have some avi's (or vob's) can't you burn them and gain some (required) space?
                      And, be carefull, the SUSE loader (LILO) is pretty hard to remove, since it hatches it self on MFT of your HDD.
                      stay cool

Comment

• khp
                        The Other
                        • Nov 2001

A few games will quickly add up to 7 GB.

Comment

• McMillan
                          • Feb 2003

you're quite right
                          I've forgotten that people still use computers for playing games
                          I've stopped that years ago
                          Tomb Raider, on the other hand....
                          take care

Comment

• chickeneater
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2002

the 7GB is on the windows part. I use knoppix so it doesnt take up any space. on windows I have the essential programs, like photoshop, , illistrator, quarkexpress, c++, and the little bit that divx requires (mostly temprory space), and plus for xp, and some movies that are too big to fit on a cd.
                            FFDShow filters

Comment

Working...