Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alcskid
    Movie Lovers
    • Jan 2003

Well, If U want still to fix it up, then I suggest U to boot with Safe Mode and do a Scandisk and Virus scan try.
    ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• Kewl
      • Mar 2003

i dont know whats going on but im having a mind block here how do you get in and out of safe mode

P.S I have win 98

sorry i dont know wats happening with me but i just can remember mental block or summin lol.

Comment

• alcskid
        Movie Lovers
        • Jan 2003

Before appear Logo Windows 98 press F8.
        It will show up the Boot up menu. select Safe mode.
        ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• 1MusicFan
          • Mar 2003

For some viruses, removing the virus does not return the infected file exactly to it's original condition. This causes some programs not to run (they may fail a self check routine).
          You'd want to create the boot disk on another machine , not the infected one; otherwise the resulting disk is unpredictable.
          Kazaa has an option to check downloaded files for viruses. I believe that it's off by default, you can turn it on and see how well that works.
          You most probably will need to reinstall the OS as suggested to you. This will only update the OS files and all should run. For most cable modem connections, you don't need to install the provided CD. It's basically cheesy/cheep applications and the main intent is to get your personal info.
          Good luck.

Bush, Pull Out! like your father should've (I don't mean desert storm either).

Comment

• McMillan
            • Feb 2003

your kernel is meshed up. that happens in so many reasons, but usually when defrag is used without verifying the writes, that is, your memory has bad blocks, or your HDD didn't write something correctly. You don't have to loose any of your programs and instalations, simply run the windows setup program and everything should remain the same. The setup will overwrirte all of important system files, leaving the instalations and the registry (allmost) intact.
            check your memory module (using some hardware testing program, such as sisoft sandra) and definately your HDD with chkdsk using full mode (search for bad clusters) You're sure to found some...
            c-ya
            ...this MIGHT not be the best picture that I have...

Comment

• Kewl
              • Mar 2003

Were can i get those hard ware searchers?
              and can i get them on the internet for free?
              ans what is excuse my terminology chkdhk

Comment

• McMillan
                • Feb 2003

oh, sorry..

chkdsk is an dos-based command under the win xp, which makes the windows to check your hard disk. Under win98, the tool is scandisk, start>programs>accessories>system tools>scandisk. Check "thorough" under options in scandisk utility. That option is used to find (if any) bad clusters.
                Sisoft sandra is a hardware and system info tool, and among their modules is one that I think you need, memory check. If your memory has some parts that are bad, the system will still run, but you'd have lots of errors and system chrashes. If SANDRA finds that any of your memory banks is corrupt, or returns bad data, replace the memory to keep your computer in good running condition.
                Nevermind SANDRA and scandisk, you should definately take your win98 cd rom and re-install (without formatting) your windows 98 instalation. It might be that, due to frequent installation and uninstalation of various programs, you've corrypted some of windows files that it needs to work properly.
                if you're worried that any problems during the instalation should occur, make a backup of everything you have that is important, or you don't have a instalation of.
                if you have norton system works, it contains performance tester which is allso good for determining potential problems.
                oh, if you don't know what to do after all these informations, I really runned out of "simple" words to explain you how to do it.
                Good luck

ps, allmost all of these utilities is at least downloadable, and you can use it for some time (e.g. 30days) which would be even more time than you need
                Last edited by McMillan; 27 Mar 2003, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Kewl
                  • Mar 2003

ok by win 98 installation disk will a win 98 startup floppy do?

Comment

• McMillan
                    • Feb 2003

no, you have to insert the "Windows 98 instalation disc" in your cd rom drive, boot from floppy, and start the installation again. Do you know how to install the windows 98? if not, tell me so, I will post you a message on how to install win 98.

Comment

Working...