Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deus
    • Nov 2001

More than just a hobby?

Are there actual careers with this stuff or is it just something to mess around within your spare time? Aside from starting a digital video web site.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I'm going to post an ad in the local paper this weekend to explore just that. "Convert your VHS tapes to DVD...quality guaranteed." or something like that. I showed my results to a programmer friend who had poopooed my efforts. He agreed with me that the DVD looked as good as the source VHS...and he paid me to convert his favorite movie "Heavy Metal".

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Re: More than just a hobby?

Originally posted by Deus
      Are there actual careers with this stuff or is it just something to mess around within your spare time? Aside from starting a digital video web site.
      I see this as a hobby (and to a certain extent, obsession). I will never be able to see it as a reliable source of income (not on a regular basis).

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

I am sure there is probably a compression used in DVD corperations. You wouldn't think you can fit a 200 minute movie on a DVD-9

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

There is the potential to make money from Digital Video knowledge. (E.g. computer graphics, programming) But that involves some serious work and education.

Many people also make some extra money by converting/capturing/authoring from functions or special events such as weddings etc... However I doubt that there is a sufficient "money to be made" that you can rely solely on this for a reliable and acceptable source of income.

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

Well...there are a lot of people who buy capture equipment to convert their old VHS library. They give up after spending a month or two and can only wind up with a blurry copy. When I can give them a copy so close to original they can't tell the difference and will feel comfortable getting rid of the bulky source...well, they just might pay for that. I'm gonna check it out.

Comment

• Deus
              • Nov 2001

To Setarip

So what does Setarip do for a living with his vast knowledge of Digital Video?

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

Well...my weekend ad ran and I got nary a nibble. $38 bucks for zip. Guess I'll just have to be content with digitizing my VHS library and dealing with what word-of-mouth brings in. The local paper may not have been the place to advertize...but if there was a market out there I'd expect to at least get a call from some curious soul. I've heard of people performing the service in conjunction with their TV or Computer store...but they say it's only a small percentage of their income.

Comment

Working...