Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deus
    • Nov 2001

Warez rule

Hopefully this poll isnt against the rules but ill appologise in advance if it is. I think it would be nice to discuss warez and not have to be so pro copyright but I can see why its needed.
    I like it!
    0%
    I dont like it but i can see why its needed
    0%
    I hate it
    0%
    I really could care less
    0%
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

I think it keeps people in order and keeps this site legal

Comment

• gd_nimrod
      • Nov 2002

Well, for this site, i dont think its as much that the admin doesnt LIKE warez, its just that sometimes the forums provider doesnt allow any links or posts relating to copyrighted files...
      Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
      http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
      http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Or web hosts that have "no warez" clauses in their contract.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• chickeneater
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2002

what is this sites host?
          FFDShow filters
          Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Cheap as chips dedicated servers from "Rackshack". Actually not that cheap if you go for their memory upgrades, which involves a monthly fee of about $20 for 512 MB of RAM (so that's $240 a year, every year!!). Cheaper than virtual hosts if you've got lots of sites (many smaller ISPs/web hosts resell Rackshack servers as well).

And cheap bandwidth ($99 for 400 GB per month)

Comment

• SKD_Tech
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2003

Believe me your helping a lot of people having this site up it is worth the money in my eyes

So that is why rackshack pop-ups come up

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

So that is why rackshack pop-ups come up
                Ummm ... not really.

The servers are dedicated servers, and hence, all you get with the package is Linux with server software (Apache, PHP) installed. Additional software can be installed on it. All the setup of the servers, sites are done by me.

For the hardware, you get a Celeron/P3/p4/Athlon machine with half a gig of RAM (or more) and 60 GB of hard-drive. You can install as many sites as you want on the one server (each site is referred to as a "virtual server"), and you don't share the hardware with anyone else.

With virtual web hosting, such as that you get with Geocities or one of those $9.95 per year deals, up to 1000 sites can be stored on the same hardware server (albeit a much beefier server). In fact, quite a few smaller web hosts may rent a single Rackshack server with 400 GB of bandwidth per month, and then re-sell it as 200 virtual accounts with 2 GB /mo each (200 * $9.95 = $1990 per year, from a server that costs about only $1200 per year). Not a bad business, if you ask me

Free sites such as Geocities make money from pop-up ads instead of a subscription fee, but the principle is the same.

I think the pop-ups (probably pop-unders, since I've deselected all the pop-ups) are actually for Rackspace, not Rackshack, which is another cheap (but not as cheap) as chips dedicated web host.
                Last edited by admin; 22 May 2003, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2003

Rackspace sounds like a good set-up but I am going to wait until I actually get some webmastering classes and a site that will actually make it big before I consider something like that

Comment

• Deus
                    • Nov 2001

So the "no warez" clause states you cant have discussion of warez? or just the discussion might lead to linking or posting of programs that are prohibited by the contract?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2003

You cannot link to them because if you link you are assumed to support and maybe even host warez and cracks

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Mar 2002

@Admin

Who funds running this forum and the digital-digest.com cos when you add the costs it comes to a large sum?
                        MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
                        Look here before posting questions

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Who funds running this forum and the digital-digest.com cos when you add the costs it comes to a large sum?
                          This site is funded by the MPAA in a bid to catch people trying to make illegal copies of their DVDs !!

Seriously though ... I am happy to say that Digital Digest (and DivX Digest, DVDR Digest ...) can now fully fund itself (plus a little extra for my *cough* hard *cough* work)

The costs are alright for a site of this size, about $US 6000 per year (that's mainly for servers and bandwidth) - other sites rely a lot on donations (not just money, but bandwidth, servers ...), but I've had run ads to keep up with the costs (mainly because not a lot of people wants to donate anything to help this crappy site stay alive )

It wasn't always self-supporting though, and that's why for a while, there was a big push for donations. I think there's another thread about advertiser links in this forum - every little bit helps.

I'm tired now, so I think I'll just go and watch a DVD on my 50" plasma screen, sitting on my expensive imported Italian leather sofa that matches the decor of my mansion. I won't watch the whole movie tonight, after all, I have to wake up early in the morning so I can go buy four new luxury cars, as my current four is already a month old!!
                          Last edited by admin; 23 May 2003, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• Deus
                            • Nov 2001

Only $6000 a year? Thats not bad. So you actually live off of the add profits? Doesent sound like a bad occupation to me!

Comment

• t3ch
                              H4x0r of Gibsons
                              • Mar 2003

I <3 you admin
                              OGSTH! my webpage
                              ----------------------------
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

Working...