• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vic_vega
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • May 2003

Help with MP3 Quality...

Ok, I have some .Mp3's that are a higher bitrate than I desire for my iPod (which I am going to re-encode to a different compression level) does anyone know off hand if you Lose quality if you go directly from one bitrate to another?

Like say I went from 320 to 160 (would that cause it to degrade in quality?)

Or, should I first encode them to .Wav's (to un-compress them), and then to 160?
  • gd_nimrod
    • Nov 2002

Of course you lose quality, since file size decreases, quality decreases.
    Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• vic_vega
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • May 2003

I know you lose quality when it's a lower bitrate, BUT what I mean is, will I lose quality FROM the conversion to 160 from 320?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"Like say I went from 320 to 160 (would that cause it to degrade in quality?)"

Yes.

"should I first encode them to .Wav's (to un-compress them), and then to 160?"

You will lose quality too.

Always remember this: when you compress with a lossy codec, you will lose quality because these codecs inherently discard information regardless of bitrate.

Regards.

Edit: You probably won't notice much, if any, degradation in sound quality using the methods you described, esp. if you are not a critical listener. However, keep in mind that once you re-compressed, something in the audio had been discarded. That is the way it is with lossy codecs.
        Last edited by Enchanter; 11 Nov 2003, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...