X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

3D Animated Movies

Anybody noticed the rate at which 3d animated "films" have been pumped out the past few years? anybody else think that aside from a few exceptions (toy story 1 & 2, shrek, finding nemo), they suck?

IMO they're just for celebrities who want more exposure or just want to "try something new". the vast majority are tired old story-lines with unbelievably cliche characters & for the most part, really really crappy graphics (even toy story's 1995 graphics are better). throw in a heap of pop culture references, a well-known song/tune/dance (i swear if i see the robot/moonwalk one more time, unless its done by the king himself, i'm gonna kick somebody's ass).

a couple of movies that wholly or partially fit the description are: chicken little, shark tale, robots, shrek 2, the incredibles, madagascar (from the number of threads/posts here, can't believe how many dvd sales this one got)

wouldn't bother me at all if it weren't for the studios hyping them up to 'must-see' status each time, and my much younger siblings didn't want to watch/rent them, only to be disappointed afterwards.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

• BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

Robots is a good example of what goes in the stink department IMO.But I have to say I enjoyed Shark Tale a lot it had the mob theme going which I love no matter if its a live movie or animated and I liked the story but if you ask me it wasn't really wrote for kids it had humor adults would understand and I think the age group of the 5-12 year olds wouldn't pick up on most of it.The Incredibles I enjoyed quite a bit also I loved the story I thought it was very creative
    Last edited by BR7; 5 Jan 2006, 09:18 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

It seems Pixar can only do good ones at the moment. Disney has been going downhill lately. I did enjoy Atlantis.

I found Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo to be the best (and I am in my 30's).

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

I loved The Incredibles - my favorite Pixar movie. Robots is good as well. But hey, I am still a "kid", so don't trust me!
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• cornholio7
          Unavailable
          • Jun 2005

i liked the incredibles too - very humerous

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

I forgot about Incredibles. That is another good one. I can't seem to get anyone else to watch it which is strange. As soon as I mention a super hero story no one is interested.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Indeed. But yet everyone loves Spider-Man, because it is not animated. I love animated movies, whether 3D or not, which is why I like Pokémon (I especially like animé). But again, you guys are older than I am.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• TNT
                DVD Shrinker
                • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by nwg
                It seems Pixar can only do good ones at the moment. Disney has been going downhill lately. I did enjoy Atlantis.

I found Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo to be the best (and I am in my 30's).
                I HATED Atlantis. I couldn't believe the amount of violence in this Disney movie. Couldn't let my daughter watch it. I agree Disney should go back to making movies like The Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid.

On topic, I liked the Incredibles and thought Madagascar was funny. However, the Computer graphics were laughable. I agree with anon though, a lot of crappy movies out there. I think that some may argue that they're going for a 'visual style', I still think they could have done a better job. In terms of 'visual style' I thought Sin City was incredible.
                Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
                I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

Atlantis was a good movie! Although The Incredibles has got to be my favorite Disney/Pixar movie.
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

i myself found the incredibles extremely boring, and the graphics were nothing to scream about, rather primitive. maybe i'm just getting old? (mentally)

disney has hyped up every movie they have made in the past few years. nothing has been good since mulan.

also, anybody notice their really really crappy sequels to big-grossing movies? like lion king II and III, mulan II, cinderella II, peter pan II, etc.

they get a straight-to-video/dvd release, with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VOICE ACTORS (that definitely wasn't eddie murphy in mulan 2, and the rest of the cast seemed to have had serious vocal cord problems). IMO they're looking for a cheap buck & will continue this sad trend until they literally "break even", so that they're making as much money in sales as they did producing their movie.

@TNT: sin city was great, no debate on whether it was good or not

Comment

• TNT
                      DVD Shrinker
                      • Jan 2004

I agree, a lot of garbage coming from the mouse. One sequel I did like was Lion King 1-1/2. It was funny and I was able to sit through it a few times with my kid. As far as Voice Acting is concerned, it was horrible when they lost Robin Williams for Aladdin 2, although he wasn't that great when he came back for 3. The main problem I have with the Aladdin movie is that although Robin Williams is hilarious, his jokes and impersonations are dated. Meaning already, kids don't know who Arsenio Hall is and won't get the impersonation, whereas a movie like Cinderella is timeless.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

ever watch "spirited away"?

Comment

• anonymez
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2004

spirited away was excellent, one of the best. wasn't disney though

edit:damn it was disney. but it definitely wasn't made by the same people that have been churning out the regular crap recently
                          Last edited by anonymez; 9 Jan 2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

disney/pixar? got the american distribution rights and probably had a
                            some kind of hand in it, obviously japanese quality.
                            topic = 3D Animated Movies

wasn't disney though

Comment

• TNT
                              DVD Shrinker
                              • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by anonymez
                              spirited away was excellent, one of the best. wasn't disney though

edit:damn it was disney. but it definitely wasn't made by the same people that have been churning out the regular crap recently

Sorry, NOT Disney. Only distributed by the blood suckers. Directed by Hiyao Miyazaki and I believe produced by Studio Ghibli. Spirited Away is not my favorite Miyazaki film though. My favorites in order are. . . Majo no takkyubin (Kiki's Delivery Service) [I love the world it is set in], Tenku no Shiro Laputa (Castle in the Sky Laputa), Cagliostro no Shiro (Cagliostro's Castle) [A Lupin the 3rd Film], and Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke). Although not my fav because I don't like bugs, a lot of people would vouch for Nausicaa. Miyazaki is known as the Disney of Japan. Fortunately, not corrupted yet.

Oops, forgot Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro) always a hit with the kids.
                              Last edited by TNT; 9 Jan 2006, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...