X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

Question for Soprano fans

I have a question about all the ghosts brought up in the Sopranos I don't get what the meaning is. First off when Christopher got shot he claimed he seen ghosts and they talked to him well we all know this freaked out Pauly Walnuts so he went to see that psychic and the psychic seen all the people Pauly murdered following him.And then you got Tony's mom passing away and AJ senses his grandmother in the house.The next time a ghost is brought up is at Tony's house when people were joined to talk about his mother Big Pussy appears in the mirror when Tony opens the door and you can tell Tony senses somthing.The only sense I can make of this is its a way for David Chase to show the characters guilt so if any one can clear this up for me and give me your two cents I would be a happy camper
    Last edited by BR7; 8 Jan 2006, 04:33 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection
  • Derree
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

Wish I could help you BR7 but I haven't seen the show since season one. It was played on CTV (Canadian Televison one of the big three networks in canada) and I havent watched it since...at the time of season 2 etc I didnt have the cable and now that I do have satellite I have no idea what is what on that show...
    sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
    good
    -------------------------------------------

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

wish i could help you out too. i'm suprised there isn't a flood of answers here yet for a such a popular show. i have only seen a few episodes of season 5, but thought it was a good show. just never had the patience for it, anything with too much hype i keep away from. i usually discover it down the road

i do know that there is a 20 year gap between season 5 finale and season 6, what's up with that>?
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• moonrocks
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Jul 2005

Well, it's been a few years since I've seen the Soprano's so my memory is a little foggy, but I do think you're on the right track with the guilt aspect.

If you remember after Chris got shot up and almost died (Season 2 ?) all the guilt and worry he went through about not getting into heaven, and Carmella praying for him. For a minute there I thought he was gonna leave his life of crime. I thought that episode was well written because you had to wonder if Chris was really feeling guilty, or just afraid for his own personal fate in the afterlife. I'm thinking it was the latter.

Also, the scenes after that, with Paulie the priest and the psychic and Paulie's fears about what would happen to his soul from all the things he'd done. Paulie was religious, yet he's happy to murder people, so how does he deal with it? His justification all along seemed to be he could buy his way out of his sins, with his donations to the church.

I think the ghosts, the pangs of guilt, the priests all combine to help the rest of us non-gangsters get some feel for how these guys emotionally deal with the the immoral, brutal lifestyle they live.

I always scratched my head watching the Godfather too. Seeing guys getting all dressed up, going to church on Sunday, then whacking somebody on Monday. I always wondered how they managed to get that all sorted out in their mind. I guess that's where the ghosts and pyschics come in.

"Det blåser også her." - Erik den røde

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

Thanks moonrocks that is how I took it as well but I wasnt sure if I was right. I have to say I never added the church into the equation and now it all makes sense.
          Thanks for your help you have put my mind at ease
          @LT
          Well there is the HBO boards but I refuse to go back to that site ever again they are very rude over there
          EDIT
          ------------------
          Sorry I didn't reply sooner I was busy from 1pm yesterday till 6am this morning making Deer jerky and Deer Summer Sausage.Deer Summer Sausage is my favorite
          Last edited by BR7; 9 Jan 2006, 01:46 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...