X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

Can HBO pull it off

Although the courts shot down the FCC's attempt to enforce the broadcast flag, the networks are moving full steam ahead on getting the flag written into law one way or another. So far, one bill has been introduced that would plug the so-called "analog hole," and there have been a number of Congressional hearings on piracy and copyright. No matter what the venue, the mantra of the media industry has been the same: restrictions on what consumers can do with their broadcasts are absolutely necessary in order to stop piracy and keep the networks in business.

Right.

HBO has joined the fray with a recent FCC filing in which it argues that its video-on-demand programming-and all "Subscription Video On Demand" services-should fall into the category of "Copy Never." In a broadcast-flagged world, that translate into consumers not being able to record on-demand broadcasts by HBO. No TiVo, no VCR, no video capturing on your PC, no nada.

By way of refresher, the analog hole legislation breaks broadcast content into four "Technical Content Protection Responses," each with increasingly stringent restrictions. At the bottom is No Technical Protection Applied, meaning that the programming would be treated like every other transmission today. From there we move to Copy One Generation Content and Copy Unlimited No Redistribution Content which would allow limited recording and copying. HBO's proposal would put its on-demand programming into the category of Copy Prohibited Content, which makes copying and recording of any kind verboten.

To be clear, HBO's filing only affects on-demand programming. Currently, HBO broadcasts are DRMed using CGMS-A which allows users to make one copy of regular HBO programming and prohibits them from copying or recording HBO On-Demand broadcasts. Their use of CGMS-A has also led to some users being told that they must delete content due to time restrictions. Given the MPAA's stated desire of having the ability to lock down all programming, it's not a stretch of the imagination to reason that all HBO content will someday be flagged as "Copy Prohibited Content" should our lawmakers fall down on the job.

Some of HBO's original programming finds its way to Usenet and what BitTorrent sites still remain, but its business model appears to be weathering the changing technological times just fine. Rather, the proposed restrictions on recording HBO's programming are a clear and simple money grab. Love watching Deadwood, but missed the premiere of the new episode on Sunday night? Well, you may not be able record it, but HBO will be happy to deliver an on-demand viewing to you for an extra couple of bucks.

You get the picture. Copy protection is not about stamping out piracy. Sure, it will cut down on piracy-at least the casual file-trading that goes on. But at its heart, its about finding new ways to monetize the content. And by "monetize the content," I mean "charge you multiple times for the same thing." Remember that as the analog hole and future broadcast flag legislation makes its way through Congressional committees, and be sure to let the FCC, your senators, and your congressperson know how you feel about HBO's proposed changes. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060209-6151.html

I don't think can pull it off what are your thoughts

My Blu-ray Collection
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Well if this did come pass, there is always one alternative that the public has. The problem would be that it couldn't be 1 or 2, it would have to be just about everybody. They simply say I don't want HBO or anybody that does this included in my TV package. There lies the problem, getting people to do that. If a TV network doesn't have viewers, it basically ceases to exist. The public combined has a much greater voice than any other organization on the planet, just ask Sony with beta Vs VHS.

Comment

• BR7
      He is coming to your little town!
      • Aug 2005

Back in the sixties people fought for what they believed in now a days people are willing to take what's handed to them wether they like it or not. To tell you the truth I don't know what the matter is with our generation it's either people are to lazy or they just don't care

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...