• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Any Van Halen fans here?!?!

Wow! This is the first I have heard it. I can't believe a "pro" band had issues like this. I have been in a few "hairy" situations myself with gigs that didn't go right, but never anything this bad. Problem magnified since Eddie couldn't play between frets! I hate to laugh, but...

So what happens when you’re Van Halen, the last song in your set list is the million-seller “Jump” with its synthesizer-keyboard opening…and the recording you’re using…
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

I am a huge Van Halen fan. Been listening to their music since their first album.

Things happen when playing a live concert. Especially when electronic based instruments are used. Anything electronic can go crazy at any time, especially in a live concert setting where thousands of watts of electrical power are being utilized, which puts surges and sags on the power system by the outboard speaker amplifiers as well as the on-stage amps. And since keyboards are digital devices, they are far more sensitive to power sags than non-digital devices. Thus a setting could be altered without the performer's knowledge until they go to play the instrument. They dont have time to go through all the settings to make sure everything is correct while playing a live concert.

Another thing folks need to realize is that bands are not there playing live to mimic the recorded version of songs. Anyone expecting exact duplication of a studio recording during a live concert needs to just calm down and pull up their panties instead of getting all upset and into a wad. To say that someone didnt get their money's worth all because of one minor little glitch with a keyboard during 1 song should just go home and cry in one hand and p*** in the other...see which one fills up first.

Problems like the one that occured during the live show usually doesnt happen, but its a 50/50 chance that something may or may not during the show. Anyone involved with live concert production or play live performances know that anything can happen at any moment during the show and is often completely out of the control of the performers and engineers.

As the old saying goes...sh** happens.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Gary D
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Maybe it’s really just due to David Lee Roth being a world class cheeseball…
      Probably the best quote from the explanation thread (but not the real reason).

He77 yeh.. I like VH. But this cash grab of old timers makes me sick.
      Gary D

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

He77 yeh.. I like VH. But this cash grab of old timers makes me sick.
        I 've always like VH, I pattern my playing after EVH, except for this video Interesting comment about the cash grab...Eddie is auctioning the concert guitars (autographed) off after each show, some bring upwards of $15,000 +

Oh well, wish I had a few of them to sell!

Comment

Working...