• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Help with LCD TV Selection Criterias

Hi folks,

I was not sure where to put this post ... so here it goes in "Off Topic" ...

I am thinking about buying a New LCD TV ... most likely a 42" one to replace my perfectly good 8 year old 36" Panasonic TV which I plan to give to my cousin since he needs a TV.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some "1st hand Pointers" of what to look for in my new LCD TV!!!

BTW … I do NOT want to spend an arm & a leg on this new LCD TV … so Cost is an important factor also. Most bang for my money!

Also, would it better if I wait till next year around June 2009 time frame ... since by then there will be no more Analog Tuners in the TVs ... so I assume they might provide more goodies in the all new Digital TVs!!!?

Thanks,

G!
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

I beleive that most if not all have the digital tuners already installed. So you will be viewing off air channels only. I would check out Wally World, Kfart, Sams club, ect.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi Doc ... Thanks for the Help!

G!

Comment

• ipaulo
        • Apr 2006

One thing that comes to mind when you want to make the big purchase is the day after Thanks giving or Christmas. I'm sure companies will be having some super sales to stimulate buyers is this slow moving economy. Also, just my opinion is that the end of 2008 or before Feb. 09 will probably a better time to buy. I say this because I believe the economy usually picks up after a new President takes office.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

Go blackfriday.com and you can see everything that will be on sale. That is usually true but I beleive that the US is in a depression just like in the 1930. I donot think that it will help when Obama takes the office. He has already lied.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

There is a 46" sharp at walmart for around $1200 with a digital hd tuner.

Comment

• TNT
              DVD Shrinker
              • Jan 2004

One thing I can recommend is to buy from Costco if you're picky about dead pixels like me. For example, I recently bought a computer monitor from them, but I had to go through 5 to get one that didn't have any dead pixels. They'll take lcd's back for 90 days.
              Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
              I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• doctorhardware
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2006

There is a way to possibly to fix dead pixels, is to push on the screen until you see the screen start to change colors. But do not push on the screen too hard, as you will crack the screen. I have used this method in the past and it does work, you have to be patient. It make take several tome for this to work.
                Last edited by doctorhardware; 7 Dec 2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• TNT
                  DVD Shrinker
                  • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                  There is a way to possibly to fix dead pixels, is to push on the screen until you see the screen start to change colors. But do not push on the screen too hard, as you will crack the screen. I have used this method in the past and it does work, you have to be patient. It make take several tome for this to work.

Thanks, I have tried that and programs such as undead pixel and have never had any success. I guess I'm just not that lucky.
                  Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
                  I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

I had a couple of dead pixels on my acer laptop that I was able to fix.

Comment

• gonwk
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2005

Hi guys,

I was out the entire last week on bus travel ... and even got a cold ... oh well!

I want to know about this "Dead Pixel" ... what the heck does it look like and how noticeable is it. Either I am super lucky with LCDs or I am missing something or the eyes are going out!

BTW, my cousin opted for a microwave instead of TV for his XMAS present ... so I am out of only $175 or so instead of $900 plus! And I am off the "Finding a HDTV" project for now anyway!

Thanks!

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2006

Either it will a small dark spot or you see a small spot that is a different color then the surround area.

Comment

Working...