• Show
Clear All
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Download question

When downloading from P2P software does the download become corrupt if:

1) sometimes possibly due to heat (I recieve a BSOD---blue screen---that tells me my system is busy, and I have to manually reboot) would the download get damaged?

2) during power surgers would the download get damaged?

In both instances (1) and (2) I am able to resume a download on MIRC or WinMX, or Kazaa. However, I am unable to resume the downloads in Direct Connect.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Batman; 25 Jun 2002, 07:35 AM.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

1. I've had a few BSODs before, but the downloads never seem to get damaged. That applies to mIRC and HTTP downloads only though. I've no idea about P2P downloads.

2. You should be more worried about your hardwares getting damaged at this stage. If it occurs often, get an anti-surge power board. You will save a lot of money in the long run. Your download won't matter anymore if the harddrive (or something else) is killed.

Probably whoever you're downloading from is unable to do resumes? There are many such servers in mIRC as well.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Thanks, again Enchanter Where would I be without you? You're a big help.

1. I've had a few BSODs before, but the downloads never seem to get damaged. That applies to mIRC and HTTP downloads only though. I've no idea about P2P downloads.

I do have a surge protector? is that what you are referring to?

2. You should be more worried about your hardwares getting damaged at this stage. If it occurs often, get an anti-surge power board. You will save a lot of money in the long run. Your download won't matter anymore if the harddrive (or something else) is killed.

You're right. I'll be more careful. Do you think shutting down the computer for say 6-11 hours is a good idea or bad? I read at pcworld that the fluctuations in power supply can damage a system. For that duration is it worthwhile?

Probably whoever you're downloading from is unable to do resumes? There are many such servers in mIRC as well.

In MIRC I have no problem, neither in WinMX, nor Kazaa. This seems to be specific only to Direct Connect. My only concern is that I can't test out the completed movies right away, I have an old computer that can't play divx. I'll try to check it out at a friends.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

What I'm implying to is a board that smooths out spikes in the AC current that the PSU in your system receives and converts into DC current that your system components use (They don't take AC curent ). If your surge protector does not do this, you need to get a UPS (Uninterruped Power Supply) box. Just one that does the above is sufficient. You won't need one that allows the system to continue running for a limited period of time in the case of a power outtage, unless you know you need that feature.

As long as your system is switched on as well as connected to the power outlet, it is always susceptible to any spikes in the AC current, as well as lightning strikes. How long it is turned off has no relevance.

Before you go buying a UPS, I suggest that you check if your area is prone to power spikes first. Your problem may be inherent from within the system itself, not necessarily from elsewhere.
        Last edited by Enchanter; 25 Jun 2002, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Thanks Enchanter, I'll check it out

Comment

• chickeneater
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2002

I'm glad Im not the only one that uses the term BSOD. Is it an official term, or is it just an unused, not popular name?
            FFDShow filters
            Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

I don't think BSOD is a MIcrosoft term. Microsoft's marketing department can probably do much better than that. BSOD is a popular term. Unfortunately, it's a problem windows 98 users have to live with

Comment

• chickeneater
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2002

I have gotten xp BSOD's that say "dumping physical memory to disk" and forces you to reboot.
                FFDShow filters

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

XP and NT are much better than most of Microsoft's dos-based ose's. But yeah I've managed to crash NT a couple of times and recieved a few BSOD's as well.

A little off-topic: Microsoft's latest OS has been leaked and it's authentic.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

Ya know you really gotta screw up to make XP show the BSOD... I used to be able to crash win98 whenever I wanted to... Just click on Windows Explorer about 20 times witha 200MHZ processor and there she comes then u have to press CTL+ALT+DEL then make it reboot

Comment

• chickeneater
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Apr 2002

why does microsoft even write the bsod script if they don't want to make customers scared?
                      FFDShow filters

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by chickeneater
                        why does microsoft even write the bsod script if they don't want to make customers scared?
                        Well with XP, Microsoft seems to be moving in the right direction. While it's not rock solid it is a big improvement over Windows 98 and Millenium. Plus it has lots of pretty colours Error messages look cool!

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2003

lol yeah it makes people think it is just another crapy pop-up so they click cancel

Comment

• chickeneater
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2002

thats what they should have for xp. A button that lets you go to the command prompt and figure out the problem with the buggy windows in the background.
                            FFDShow filters

Comment

• t3ch
                              H4x0r of Gibsons
                              • Mar 2003

Windows DOES keep logs of all crashes, if that's what you're referring to.

BSOD is indeed a very popular and well known term; I don't know where you've been that you haven't heard it much.

I crashed XP a few minutes after I installed it; don't remember what I did however. XP sometimes decides to have a serious memory leak issue, and I eventually get a memory dump.

GG linux
                              OGSTH! my webpage
                              ----------------------------
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

Working...