Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arctic silver
    • Dec 2001

DVD digital re-mastering

What does it involve in doing digital re-mastering for DVDs? For example, capturing analog video, cleaning it up, and then burning to dvd. Some of the commercial DVDs that you buy reads on the back cover "digitally re-mastered". I guess it takes alot of time and some big bucks equipment.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

(If you capture as MPEG, simply change each of my "AVI" references to "MPEG"):

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• arctic silver
      • Dec 2001

My analog capturing is done with the Dazzle DVC150. It has an mpeg 2 encoder chip built in. So capturing is in mpeg.

Lets see if I got what you're saying.
      First I would capture my analog video in mpeg with my DVC150. Then I use TMPGEnc to render using the DVD template. Once thats done, I use TMPGEnc DVD Author (which I do have) to add menus, chapters, etc. Then burn the final product to my blank dvd disk.

Would this method help to improve the video quality of the captured video? Also what do you mean by your statement:

"(If you capture as MPEG, simply change each of my "AVI" references to "MPEG"):

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Would this method help to improve the video quality of the captured video?"

NOTHING will improve the quality (You still can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear)

Also what do you mean by your statement:

"(If you capture as MPEG, simply change each of my "AVI" references to "MPEG"):

If you read my first response to you here, everytime ypu see the word ".AVI", in your mind replace it with the word "MPEG". It would then appear this way:

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) If not already DVD-compliant, use "TMPGEnc" to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this (This step may not be necessary, if your MPEG-2 filies are already in DVD compliant format)

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• arctic silver
          • Dec 2001

Thanks setarip.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment