Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbf
    • Dec 2003

Media is not Blank Error

This is my first DVD Burn. I'm using a Lacie DVD +- RW, MyDVD softwared, and Memorex 4.7GB DVD-R Media.

Everytime I try to burn the project to the DVD, I get an error that says, "Media is Not Blank".

Any thoughts?
  • RNCSerge
    • Jul 2003

I get the same thing with Nero. I'm downloading Pinnacle InstantCD/DVD 8.0 Maybe the software is the problem here

Comment

• jaaron
      • Jan 2004

mine doesn't work either

I'm having the exact same problem...Lacie DVD +-R/RW drive, Memorex DVD-R discs, and MyDVD 4.5. Did you ever get it to work? I opened an incident with Sonic, but they're unresponsive.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I'm using a Lacie DVD +- RW"

Have you checked to see if your drive supports (-R) media?

Comment

• jaaron
          • Jan 2004

I was able to burn to a DVD-R using Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator with no problem. The burner only lists +-RW in its name, but I think +-RW drives can also write to +-R, in general. Plus, the drive came with a blank DVD-R. By the way, mine is the external Lacie USB DVD+-RW.

Are you using MyDVD with your drive?
          Last edited by jaaron; 16 Jan 2004, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"but I think +-RW drives can also write to +-R, in general"

I don't think this is completely correct. You really need to specifically check out the compatibility of "YOUR" burner to know for sure which media will work.

Comment

• jaaron
              • Jan 2004

As soon as I wrote that statement, I knew someone would call me on it.

The drive doesn't come with any documentation, but the Lacie website lists the following specs:

Technology : DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
              Writing Methods : DVD-R: Disc-at-Once, Incremental recording, Multi-border recording DVD-RW: Restricted Overwriting
              Writing Compatibility : 4.7GB DVD-R, 4.7GB DVD-RW, 4.7GB DVD+R, 4.7GB DVD+RW, 700MB CD-RW
              Disc Format : DVD: DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD-R (General Use only), DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-Video

Could this be a format issue? I'm still a newbie with this stuff, and I'm not entirely clear about how the formatting works. From what I've read, though, I think DVD-R discs are formatted as they are written.

The MyDVD functionality is pretty basic, but if I can get it to work, it suits my needs fine (making DVDs from home videos). Do you think it might just be a software problem as one of the other posters mentioned? The Roxio software didn't have a problem with the DVD-R media.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jaaron
                I was able to burn to a DVD-R using Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator with no problem.
                Jaaron: Was this one of your Memorex's?
                This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"The MyDVD functionality is pretty basic, but if I can get it to work, it suits my needs fine (making DVDs from home videos)."

It looks like your drive is indeed compatible with (-R) media. If you are capturing with Sonic MyDVD, I'd suggest using another application to burn your DVD such as "Nero" or "Veritas RecordNow". MyDVD's burning capabilities are not as solid as the previously mentioned programs. Nero is fully functional for 30 days.

Comment

• jaaron
                    • Jan 2004

sfheath: Yes. Roxio was able to write to the Memorex DVD-R.

Comment

Working...