Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eagerbeaver
    • Jul 2003

Can't playback dvds on power dvd please help

This is the scenario. I have been using a pioneer 106 to back up movies using dvdshrink and nero 5.5 on a PIII with 98seWhen burnt the films playback fine using power dvd and on household dvd players.

I recently bought a laptop and this is when I noticed a problem.
    The laptop has a toshiba 2x multi drive in it. It has xp and nero 6se. I have tried playing a film that I backed up using my pioneer and power dvd on my laptop played the film fine chapter select etc. I then burnt a dvd movie on the laptop drive using a go4 dye dvd-r. The dvd burnt fine, but when I tried to play it back on the laptop using power dvd it said error the disc may be damaged. I tried to play the dvd on the laptop using windows media player and it was fine. Also the dvd played fine in my household player. What the hell is goin on. The same disk would not play using power dvd on the machine with the pioneer writer in.
    Any info, advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

Ashley
    aka eagerbeaver
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Quite a puzzle you have there Eagerbeaver!
    Well, first point that occurs to me is, don't put too much store in Windows Media Player as it uses DirectShow for codecs and doesn't guarantee standalone compatiblity. However, it does discount media incompatibility as it reads it!
    Frankly, no clear idea. Is there an update for the Nero? v6 is a bit of a culprit at times.
    More likely maybe, media borderline for reading in the burner that created it. Strange as this may seem, it wouldn't be the first time!
    Try another brand or a ±RW?
    Let us know please of developments, most curious.
    Regards, Steve.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• eagerbeaver
      • Jul 2003

attn steve!

Hi Steve, have tried different media, four different ones, ritex orange top overprints, yellow go3 overprints nanya and princo all do the same. I have even burnt an image through external usb 2.0 that was created using my pioneer 106. I am a bit puzzled!!
      I have a version of 6ultra edition, could try that instead, thanks for the post.
      Ash

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

eagerbeaver,

The best dvd burning software I have is the freeware DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 (a ripper/burning freeware).

With decent generic (cheap) dvd-R media, I have 100% PS2, XBox and 95 % standalone dvd player compatibility. Try downloading this freeware and burning a disc and see what happens. Also, try with a rw disc (if you have one).

You could rip the move in files mode with 'decrypter, select all file (from the edit tab) and then do the shrink and then use IMG Tools Classic v. 0.91.1 to change the shrunken 'Shrink files into an Iso image for 'decrypter to burn. On a regular D-5 movie, you can rip with 'decrypter in Mode Iso Read and then immediately select Mode Iso Write and have a playable dvd back-up.Movie.

I have XP and a Pioneer 104 and a 106, 'Decrypter has never failed.
        Last edited by Quality's Proof; 5 Feb 2004, 03:02 AM.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...