Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • medic028
    • Feb 2004

DVDShrink Analysis is very slow- HELP

I just downloaded DVD shrink after trying DVD XCopy. I managed to backup a couple of DVDs using DVD shrink. Its a GREAT program, but all of a sudden the analysis time is extremely long. It went from doing a DVD in minutes to taking an hour or longer. Any ideas. Could the ribbon cable that connects to the drive have anything to do with this (40pin vs 80pin)? My burner, a master, is an NEC 1300a to a DVD rom set as the slave on the same IDE channel.
  • cyrano
    • Jan 2004

I don't know if this affects your concern or not but I experienced the same thing, only worse.
    I am running an AMD 2200+ with 512 ram and plenty of HD space. Even with heavy compressions I was getting DVDShrink done in less than an hour (analysing and encoding) and then suddenly one backup took 12 hours! Yikes. I thought it was because of the material so I persisited and it turned out great. But I thought about it and tried the same thing again after rebooting. That made the difference. The same thing took less than an hour.

So now I reboot occasionally.
    - Mike

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

Have you defragged your hard discs lately?

It can help sometimes.

Comment

• cyrano
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by nwg
        Have you defragged your hard discs lately?

It can help sometimes.
        That's true. It is often the solution. I find that with this new backing up activity I defrag a couple of times a week. And I make sure I get rid of files as soon as I'm finished with a project.
        - Mike

Comment

• medic028
          • Feb 2004

Thank you both for your replies. But unfortunately I have tried both of these ideas several times, defragging and rebooting. My experience is very similar to the one experienced by cyrano but it only took 3 hours. Normally it would have taken 45min to an hour.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...