Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaRaZy
    • Feb 2004

Frustration

I posted here regarding constant fails during the lead out of a burn on my sony dru-510ak. From some prompting on this board I found out later that my burning software wasn't installing the aspi layer.

I installed aspi and it solved the problem. So I ghosted my HDD with this working solution. Now however after over 100 successful burns, my burner has started to fail again on the lead out.

For a few days the only good burn was the first one after a reboot, then all subsequent burns fail. This progressed to every burn failing even the first one after rebooting.

I Ghosted back to the good 'working' image but still get the same issue. I even have fails using DVD-decrypter which doesn't use aspi. (as opposed to Nero)

Machine is XP1800, 512ram gigabyte7vrxp m/b with latest fsony firmware on burner. Primary HDD -master on ide0, burner master on ide1, secondary HDD on ide2 (My m/b has 4 ide slots)

Can anyone assist please. I can't think of what else I can try.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Now however after over 100 successful burns, my burner has started to fail again on the lead out."

Sounds like it's time to run a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• CaRaZy
      • Feb 2004

I am sceptical that a 'dirty' burner would consistently fail on exactly the same point (lead out) every time. It would seem to me to be more of a random occurence if it was dirty.

Also it's the same problem that happened when the burner was new and hadn't installed aspi at the time.

However I will definitely take what you said on board and get a cleaner as I am sure it will make a difference in overall performance. The burner is less than 2 months old so getting dirty in such a small timeframe seems unlikely but then again not impossible.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"The burner is less than 2 months old so getting dirty in such a small timeframe seems unlikely but then again not impossible."

It's the number of burns, not the age of the burner, that normally dictates the need for cleaning.

(By the way, have you checked to see if the "failed on lead out" DVDs played, before trashing them?)

Comment

• CaRaZy
          • Feb 2004

Yes I do check them as I realise that the lead out is only there to tell the player where the end of the disc is, helping in scanning/searching through disc while the main disc info remains there.

Most of them do work in my dvd player through my home theatre. (I do notice that it takes a little longer than usual for players to begin playing these failed discs). But as you can imagine I still would prefer to not have these 'fails'.

It's like spending the money on a new car and then being ok with it not quite working when you shouldn't have to. At the end of the day there is something going wrong which I would like rectify.

I've done extensive searching on the net but cannot seem to find a solution. Even friends who are far more adept at technical problem solving than I am are getting stumped at this hence my posting.

Comment

Working...