Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daydreamprod818
    • Jul 2004

What size/quality

I work for a tiny company that is making its first DVD. We have a DVD authoring company who will make the actual DVDs, but I need to give them all our video clips on a mini-DV. My question is, is there a specific resolution/size I need to have that mini-DV in? When I am copying clips to it, does there need to be a specific size, etc? I have imported and edited the material on my computer, and need to burn it to tape, but don't know if I need to set the resolution at any specific size. Any help appreciated, thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Standard NTSC (US and Canada) DVD resolution is 720x480.

Standard PAL (Europe) DVD resolution is 720x576.

Comment

• daydreamprod818
      • Jul 2004

Thanks. What happens if the only available quality were smaller than that, would the final product just be fuzzier, or would the actual screen size be smaller (on the finished DVD)? Sorry, I have absolutely no experience in this and was kinda made the default editor of the company, but have no training...

Comment

• ignignot
        • Mar 2004

Other legal resolutions for (NTSC) DVD's are 352x480 and 352x240. If your source is a lower resolution, I would recommend asking your authoring company to choose one of these, because if they up it to the full D1 (720x480) resolution, it will just be wasting space.

In answer to your question, the picture should still fill the whole screen, but it will result in decreased sharpness.

Comment

• daydreamprod818
          • Jul 2004

Thanks a lot, I am going to try to get all the detailed info from the DVD Authoring company and hope they can help out more!

Comment

Working...