X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noctorum
    • Jul 2004

Please Help--Sudden Breakdown

Hello
    I hope someone will be kind enough to help me. I have been using DVDShrink with no problems. I have not changed anything, use the same burner and blank DVD-R+ etc. Suddenly, in the past 4 days, any copies I burn work fine up until the last 20 minutes of the movie, then it skips, sticks, pixelaizes, and freezes. I have no idea why this is happening suddenly out of nowhere as I have not made any changes to my system! I tried ripping to HD and then burning with Nero and still no luck. I'm using Shrink 3.1.7.6 and Nero 5.5.10.35, which has been working flawlessly and I do not want to risk upgrading it. Can anyone suggest some steps to fix this problem? I already trashed like a dozen blank media discs!!!!! Thanks so much.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"any copies I burn work fine up until the last 20 minutes of the movie, then it skips, sticks, pixelaizes, and freezes."

This is typical of poor quality burnable media (especially toward the end). Try using higher quality media, such as Ritek...

Comment

• noctorum
      • Jul 2004

Hi
      I would usually agree, but in this case, I have been using the exact same media for over a year with no problems. Therefore, as I hold everything constant, the media, software, etc. I do not believe this is the problem. It must be something else that I am doing wrong. What else can I do/check?
      Thanks

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

To noctorum:

What speed do you usually burn at? (2x or 4x). I would recommend burning at 2x.

Comment

• noctorum
          • Jul 2004

X2.4, that is the only option i ever had. Either 2.4 or "maximum"

Comment

• tuckersinmo
            • Jul 2004

I have been having the exact same problem. Burned over 200 discs with no problem, and now around chapter 14 or so i get freezing, skipping , major pixelization. Also, my burn time has slowed from 15/20 min. to over an hour. I can totally empathize it is really a bummer to watch a movie and then at the end you can't watch it. I have been using Memorex dvd-r at 4x speed.

Someone help us please.

Scott

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"I have been using the exact same media for over a year with no problems. Therefore, as I hold everything constant, the media, software, etc"

1) There can be bad batches of the same brand of media

2) There can be bad media within a batch

3) Try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US

Comment

• tuckersinmo
                • Jul 2004

I have been playin' around with the discs that are freezing up/skipping, and it may be due to the discs/player getting too hot. i will let you know what i find out. I did replay a disc that last night froze up, but today i put the disc in and played it at the chapters that were freezing last night. It played fine this morning. I am going to play another disc tonight from start to finish with a fan on my player to see what happens. I will try anything at this point. I'll let you know what happens.
                Scott

Comment

• noctorum
                  • Jul 2004

Thanks. The funny thing is, that when it starts skipping and freezing, I take the DVD and play it on my computer, and it works fine. I can't help but think that it has to do with the manner in which it burns and finalizes the disc that makes it skip on standalone DVD players, but not on computers....Does this make any sense?

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"it burns and finalizes the disc that makes it skip on standalone DVD players, but not on computers"

As "setarip" previously stated: "There can be bad batches of the same brand of media". I strongly suggest that you purchase some Ritek disks, and also get a commercial lens-cleaning disk also.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Please read my previous post to this thread, as you may find it useful in resolving your dilemma...

Comment

• noctorum
                        • Jul 2004

I did. And checked it this morning. You are right, it does not skip again in the same place. However, I never had this "warming up" issue, and still, when these DVDs' skip, I put in different DVDs' and they DO NOT skip. So the heat theory does not hold for all DVDs' which make it a bit strange.....?

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

THIS was my previous posting:

"I have been using the exact same media for over a year with no problems. Therefore, as I hold everything constant, the media, software, etc"

1) There can be bad batches of the same brand of media

2) There can be bad media within a batch

3) Try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US

Comment

• noctorum
                            • Jul 2004

Ah I see, thanks....

Comment

• tuckersinmo
                              • Jul 2004

Just an update. I made a copy of Cape Fear. Played it on my Denon dvd player. Pointed a fan at the player and a/v receiver, and very few skips which may have been caused by the 31% compression. Call me crazy, but i am really starting to think heat can have effect on burned back ups. Tomorrow i will try a disc that earlier was unwatchable after chapter 14. I will put the fan on it and see what happens.

Scott

Comment

Working...