X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • myronc
    • Aug 2004

Printable Dvd-r Flaking Off Disc

Hello

I have an unused spool of DVD-R blank media I bought a few years ago when they were 1X and very expensive (like A$18 each - US$9 each)! Don't laugh too loud, but I am just now finding the time to start using them.

I appear to have discovered a BIG problem. I've had some issues in burning these (like pixellation and freeze of the disc after 15 mins). Last night I noticed when I removed a (still warm) burned disc from my Pioneer AO3 drive, that the top (printable) layer had a visible crack in it near the outer rim. Closer examination and a scuff at the crack with a fingernail resulted in easily being able to scratch off a patch of the printable stuff - it basically flaked off completely over an area about 2cm x 1cm, leaving a jagged shaped edge, and revealing the shiny top surface of the disc beneath.

These were a no-brand plum coloured 'good stuff' discs from Taiwan at the time. I have checked the disc with DVDinfoPro, and was surprised to find they were RITEK G 01. Is this a known issue with older media? I understand Ritek G 04 have a good reputation now. Is there any track form about the Ritek G01 dye that I don't know about? I guess any comeback is out of the questioin given they are years old? It doesn't seem to say much for confidence about longevity of the media? Surely a big worry for wedding videographers and the like?

Any knowledge or links about this sort of failure in blank printable media? Cheers, Myron.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I bought a few years ago"

There's always the possibility that they weren't properly stored in a "cool dry environment"...

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

"I understand Ritek G 04 have a good reputation now. Is there any track form about the Ritek G01 dye that I don't know about?"

It is possible, even with Ritek, that you can have one or more "Bad" disks within the same batch.

Comment

Working...