Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steelhed
    • Nov 2004

Need Advice on software... Please help

OK, this really shouldn't be a frickin problem should it??? I have 700MB AVI that i would just love to create a DVD with, but appearantly with the software I've used, it inflates the dam thing to 5GB... Is this a bug, pure idiocy on my part, or is there not even software available to actually do what a DVD burner was intended.... I am using Nero 6... Is there another burner software I should be using?... Cause with nero 6 express that came with my burner, I can't even enable overwrite, and I've heard nero has a problem with OS partitions over 2GB.... Please help, I will send a candy bar to whoever helps solve my problem... Thanks Soooo much, in advance!!!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Steelhed
      • Nov 2004

Thanks, I guess I'll have to... Any idea why burning software inflates the hell out of an avi?, I mean, it can't be upgrading the quality right? I'm not sure how to use Tsunami mpeg, havent used it in years... But it looks like, its just gonna output the same size as i started with if i remember correctly.... Anyways I'll have to mess with it when I get home... If anyone has any other pointers that will make my experience even more trouble free, please feel free to elaborate... Thanks Guys... One thing I'd hate to have to do, is lose the quality of my AVI, to be able to burn it as a DVD, that would seem really adverse...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Any idea why burning software inflates the hell out of an avi?"

Because DivX or XviD compression is typically up to 4 times that of the MPEG-2 (DVD)...

Comment

• Steelhed
          • Nov 2004

OK, I am a dip****, therefore I am, I finally found the menu in nero where you can adjust the bitrate to fit to disc, although, it's pretty rudimentary, you can only adjust within a certain range, in other words, theres still about 300mb left on dvd I could use without overburn... In the preview, it looked every bit as good as the AVI originally did, we'll see when I'm done burning it... But in your guys opinion, what would makw DVD shrink better than adjusting bitrate in nero? Other than the fact that you can prolly adjust the compression a little closer to using more of your disc...... You guys are cool, thanks so much for your replies.....

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"what would makw DVD shrink better than adjusting bitrate in nero?"

Nothing - since your INITIAL file is an .AVI and not a DVD...

Comment

• Steelhed
              • Nov 2004

Ahhhh, I am new to this, and this has been very helpful... Cause, yes I was also getting those errors with DVD's and just deleting menu's and crap to make it fit.... Do you see a quality reduction when using DVD shrink?? I'd like to be able to backup my DVD's with all the menu's and stuff, but prolly not at the tradeoff of quality...

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Do you see a quality reduction when using DVD shrink?? I'd like to be able to backup my DVD's with all the menu's and stuff, but prolly not at the tradeoff of quality..."

You'll be pleasantly surprised...

Comment

Working...