Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ripper7
    • Nov 2004

fat32/defrag

hi there!i have dvd shrink 3.2,and dvd decypter,i have no problem whatsoever shrinking and burning.when burning with dvd decypter i always check the delete iso image when done tab,which it does,then i empty the recycle bin.i have the fat32 which i thought was no problem,but i started running out of room on my hard drive,so i ran the defrag,hoping it would clean it up and give me more space,but it did not.there is like most of my movies still on there in 1 gig chunks that i have no way to get rid of,or rather i dont know how to,disk cleanup didnt work.so now i dont want to back anything up cause of fear i will runn completely out of space,i have a 40 gig hard drive and have 6 gigs left.please help!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"there is like most of my movies still on there in 1 gig chunks that i have no way to get rid of,or rather i dont know how to"

Click on each one and press the "DELETE" key...

Comment

• DreamerSpawn
      • Dec 2004

Solution

If you DO, in fact, have residual files that the system won't let you delete, then there is only one feasible (in my opinion) way to solve it. It's a bit tricky, but can be done with the simplest of ease.

Having fat32 is a good thing. See, I run dual boot (98SE & Windows XP Pro) on one system for just such instances (I also don't like to be limited on what programs I can use...even just a little), but in your case, I'm guessing you aren't running dual boot....so what you should try is to find the exact location of the file(s). Now, you need to know a few DOS commands, such as 'cd..' to go back a directory, 'cd' then a space and the name of the directory you want to change into (forward)...and such and so fourth. Using a boot disk, boot up into DOS (www.bootdisk.com should give you the boot disks you need...and see, you can't just make a boot disk from windows, because you need things like DELETE, FORMAT, EDIT and such options that www.bootdisk.com disks will have already on them and ready to use, but OS formatting and making boot disks won't). Go into the directory that the residual files are in and while in that directory, type 'delete *.*'. {Without the ' ', of course}. The '*.*' command tells it to delete all in that directory (aside from additional sub directories). Hit enter and it should remedy your problem(s).

DreamerSpawn
      Last edited by DreamerSpawn; 29 Dec 2004, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...