After 30 min. freezing - Unable to backup to Memorex DVD+R with Liteon DVD writer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryansebiz
    • Dec 2004

After 30 min. freezing - Unable to backup to Memorex DVD+R with Liteon DVD writer

I am trying to back up various movies and have been unsuccessful so far. I am using:
    Liteon SOHW-812BK 8x DVD+/-R Dual Rewriter
    Memorex Printable 4x DVD+R's (2004, Part # 3202 4745)

I use DVD Decrypter to my hard drive then use DVD Shrink on all the decrypted files. The movie plays fine for about the first 30 minutes then pixelates, gets out of sync, then freezes. This happens on my RCA DVD player and both of my Liteon DVD drives on my PC. Also, I have a freshly defragged hard drive.

I have created my own DVD's from captured video and they work just fine. It's backups that I can't get to work.

I have been burning straight from DVD Shrink. Would it help to compress to the hard drive out of DVD Shrink and then burn the files out of Nero? If not, what else should I try?

I'm very frustrated at all the coasters I'm making. Please help! Thank you!

PC Specs
    MoBo: MSI K7N2-L Delta w/ 400 FSB & AGP8x
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2700 2.167 GHz w/ included heatsink
    HD: Maxtor 160 GB 7200 RPM
    RAM: Kensington 1 GB DDR333 PC 2700 (512MB + 2x256MB sticks)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
    DVD Burner: Liteon SOHW-812BK 8x DVD+/-R Dual Rewriter
    CD Burner: Liteon Combo 52x32x52x CD-RW & 16x DVD-ROM
    Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition
    Capture Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250
    Case: Chiefmax Black Mid Tower 212-4HL
    Fans: 2 Front In, 1 Side In, 1 Rear Out
    Power Supply: Thermaltake W0013 Silent Purepower 480W Xaser Edition 2-fan
    Display: 17" Kogi LCD
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

is DMA enabled?

Comment

• ryansebiz
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jmet
      is DMA enabled?
      Where can I find that out?

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Go here, it will tell you how: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

Comment

• ryansebiz
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jmet
          Go here, it will tell you how: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616
          OK, DMA is enabled for both IDE's under Device Manager. However, I didn't see anything for DMA under my Disk Drives. That link is for Windows 2000 and I'm running XP.

Is there anything else I can be doing/checking to fix this problem so I can make backup DVD's?

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Perhaps your hard disk is connected thru SATA and that's why there is no DMA setting?

Think that your problem is that your burnings are not ok on your Memorex media. Not the very best media.

Could also depend on the fact that your your stand alone player don't like burned discs.

To find out if it is in the burning process or in the playing process you have your problem - do this test;

Download www.dvdinfopro.com (freeware) insert one of your burned disc and selelct the option "Test your media for CRC read errors" - if you only get green dots you know that your burning is ok and it is the player that causes the problem. If you get any red dots - you know something else.

Solutions:
            1. Firmware update for your burner
            2. Try a better media

Comment

• ryansebiz
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by cynthia
              Download www.dvdinfopro.com (freeware) insert one of your burned disc and selelct the option "Test your media for CRC read errors" - if you only get green dots you know that your burning is ok and it is the player that causes the problem. If you get any red dots - you know something else.

Solutions:
              1. Firmware update for your burner
              2. Try a better media
              OK, I dled the program and ran the test. All green dots. However, the disc will freeze after about an hor of playing on my DVD player and my DVD drives.

I have successfully burned home movies on DVD with the same Memorex discs with 100% completion rate. However, none of the backups have worked.

I have burned the files from DVD Shrink directly upon clicking "Backup." I have also made an ISO file from DVD Shrink and then burned it from DVD Decrypter is ISO Write mode. Neither has worked.

What else can I do to make successful backups?

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

You are using +R media - you could try to book mark the discs to fool the player to think it's a DVD-ROM it's dealing with.

Comment

Working...