Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IllinoisBurner
    • Dec 2004

How Fast do you think?

I currently just purchased a new Insignia comoputer from best buy with a DVD burner inside. I can't tell how fast it is but it runs slow so I am assuming it is only 4X. I have recently also purchased a burner that burns at 16X. The dvd burner I have now,from beginning to end (using Decrypter and Shrink) takes about 7 hours to burn(mostly during encoding process. Will this new burner speed that up? What else can I do to make the process go faster? I noticed the MutliShrink device which sounds great but will anything else help. Will my 16X alone speed the Encoidng process up? Thanks Tim
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

7 hours... Sounds as to much on a new computer. You don't state the CPU on that PC - but 7h sounds as it was an 300Mhz. Most certainly your computer is much more powerfull than that. So there has to be some setting in your PC that is not set properly.

Don't think that your new 16x burner will have any impact on your encoding time.

Please post how big CPU your PC is equipt with. Also check out that DMA is enabled. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

Comment

• IllinoisBurner
      • Dec 2004

My computer has 2.8 Ghz. Plus I went through the step in the link you gave me. After clicking on "Primary IDE Channel", there is no Tab for "Advanced Settings" which will not allow me to check out if the DMA is enabled. What should I do?

Is there a chance I downloaded the wrong Shrink File?
      Help

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Your encoding time should be above 1h with that processor.

Your hard disk could be a SATA one and therefore there is no devices connected to Primary IDE channel.

Do you have any device connected to the Secondary IDE channel? Your burner should be connected to either the Primary or the Secondary IDE channel.
        Originally posted by IllinoisBurner
        Is there a chance I downloaded the wrong Shrink File?
        Do you mean the program file? I don't think so - the only thing that could be of interest is if you have done a virus check on your PC.
        Last edited by cynthia; 16 Dec 2004, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• IllinoisBurner
          • Dec 2004

I am not sure what you mean? How can I tell which device is connected to which IDE channel?

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by IllinoisBurner
            After clicking on "Primary IDE Channel", there is no Tab for "Advanced Settings" which will not allow me to check out if the DMA is enabled.
            Don't you have a secondary IDE channel - and if you look there - do you have that "Advanced Settings" tab there?

Are you running Windows XP?

Comment

• IllinoisBurner
              • Dec 2004

Yes I am running Windows XP and there is no "Advanced Settings" tab in the Secondary IDE

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

Try to search for the DMA setting here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310751

Comment

• IllinoisBurner
                  • Dec 2004

That didnt work either. I really appreciate you trying to help me though. I am not ver computer liteate, your help is appreciated, even though I may never find out why its so slow

Comment

• jmet
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2002

What all is running in the background while you are encoding? Are you multi-tasking? How much RAM do you have ?

Comment

• IllinoisBurner
                      • Dec 2004

512 MB DDR SDRAM usually nothing is running

Comment

• jmet
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2002

It takes me about 2 hours to analyze, and encode on the average. I exit all programs except for my anti virus, then start "Shrinking" and walk away.

Comment

• cynthia
                          Super Moderatress
                          • Jan 2004

Did you perform a virus/spyware check?

Comment

Working...