X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charlypuss
    • Nov 2004

Region 2 anomaly

Hi All,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but i have no doubt someone will shout if it's in the wrong place. I live in Spain so all of the commercial DVD's I buy are of Spanish origin (remade /remixed or whatever). Just purchased "Diablo" with Vin Diesel in it. Select English language, no probs....BUT several sections of it are in spoken Spanish, with English sub titles. Now here is the crunch. In my version there are no English subtitles when they are speaking Spanish (this is the original disk). Called my bro in the UK. He checked it out, and sure enough his version has English subtitles (automatic) when they crack on in Spanish.. This ain't a moan or a gripe (my fault for living here) it's just for general info..
    Tequilla...
    If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Re: Region 2 anomaly

Originally posted by charlypuss
    Just purchased "Diablo" with Vin Diesel in it.
    Good film

The UK equivalent is called "A Man Apart"

Comment

• charlypuss
      • Nov 2004

Ah so that's what its called..... definitely a good film. Did'nt notice the absence of subtitles until the girlfreind mentioned that non Spanish watchers might have had a bit of a problem with some of the scenes.....
      If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

A bit of coincidence, i was going to rent it out today.

Do you have English subtitles as the default in the player setup menu. This is normally needed to make English subs (or otehr langauges) to come up on automatically

If you have done that, try reauthor and force the Spanish to English translation subtitle using DVD Shrink.

Comment

• charlypuss
          • Nov 2004

Ah well thats the question. The default sub is Spanish. As the DVD is produced for the Spanish market they have assumed anybody watching it will be / understand Spanish. So the bits where they are rabbitting on in Spanish have had the English subtitles removed. If I switch on the English Subs at the start of the film on the original (very annoying), when it gets to the Spanish bit the subs disappear...... Very inconsiderate people.
          As far as I know this only effects the commercial DVD's for sale in Spain that have been remixed for the Spanish market. I do know that the English version has all of the relevant subtitles.....
          Still no worries... Hey tequiila

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by charlypuss
            Ah well thats the question. The default sub is Spanish.
            I was refering to the DVD player setup menu. Does it allow English to be selected as the default?

If you select spanish in the menu. Then spanish will come up automatically, If you select German then German comes up automatically (The DVD has to have these subtitle languages obviously).

Comment

• charlypuss
              • Nov 2004

On the DVD player the default is set to English. The only Subs that are available are Spanish and English. As I said the DVD'S are remixed for the Spanish Market... Another weird thing is that if I turn on the Spanish subs (really annoying) when the Spanish bits come up the subs continue without a break...????????????

Comment

Working...