Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvdminusr
    • Dec 2004

Laptop or DVD Player, not Both!!

I'm using the same HP 630i burner and the same two programs (Shrink and CopytoDVD) as a friend of mine. Both of us run XP. Only difference is his is a dell and mine homebuilt with Asus motherboard. We use the identical media yet his copies will play in BOTH my laptop and home dvd player! Mine will only play on my laptop (and the machine I used to record it).

I bought the HP burner because of the good results my friend was having, my previous burner, an I/O Magic, produced copies that could only be viewed on my home player and NOT on my laptop! (just the opposite of what's happening now!)

I've tried diggerent media, TDK, JVC, Fuji, etc with no changes.

Thanks for any help!!
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Are you running the same firmware revision as your friend..?

Comment

• dvdminusr
      • Dec 2004

Funny you should mention that. I had an Hp530i installed for a while and did a firmware upgrade on it. When I installed the Hp630i I ran the firmware check software and it said it was already running the latest even though it wasn't able to display the serial number or firmware version number.

Is it possible the Hp530i software is getting in the way?

How could I clear it out of the system and start over with a new install (before I return the drive)?

I called my friend and he said his firmware WAS upgraded during the install process...

Thanks for your reply

Comment

• Mig$y
        Retired
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dvdminusr
        When I installed the Hp630i I ran the firmware check software and it said it was already running the latest even though it wasn't able to display the serial number or firmware version number.
        Download and install dvdinfopro (freeware) from: http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ it will tell you which firmware you are running and your serial number.

AH26 is the lastest firmware revision and it was revised on the 23/12/04.

Comment

• dvdminusr
          • Dec 2004

Thanks for the suggestion, this will get me around the autodetect process from Hp and let me install the upgrade directly.

I'll run the software you suggested and I expect to see an older firmware since I bought the unit on 20/12/04!

Thanks a million and I'll post the results either later this evening or tomorrow depending on my work load....

Thanks again for sharing your DVD wisdom!

Comment

• Mig$y
            Retired
            • Jan 2004

Glad to help, Hope it works out

Comment

• dvdminusr
              • Dec 2004

Thanks for the links and the advice.

IT WORKED!!

Re-installed the writer, added the updated firmware and now copies play on ALL my DVD devices including home, laptop, and mobile players.....

I can't thank you enough for offering your expertise. I've already burned over 10 disks without a single problem.

Comment

• Mig$y
                Retired
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dvdminusr
                IT WORKED!!
                Excellent..... Nice one

Comment

Working...