X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bdooley
    • Dec 2004

MPEG2 Conversion Quality

OK, I have a stupid newbie question.

I used DVD Shrink to record DVD vob files to my hard drive. I am playing them back on a TV with a digital media receiver. The receiver has some inconsistencies when jumping to the next vob file, so I am looking to concat all of the vobs into one format. (Unfortunately, the DMR doesn't support vobs > 1GB).

I am looking at MPEG-2 since that is the native format of DVD. All of the VOB to MPEG-2 converters I have tried (ImToo, DVD2MPEG)seem to show a quality degradation when played back on an HDTV - significant pixel distortion in some cases.

Do any of you experts have a good conversion tool noting that my #1 priority is quality, not size? I am also not a digital video expert, so ease of use is another factor.

Thanks in advance!
  • Floppy

Hardly and expert over here but if you are Ripping a DVD to your Hard Drive and want to play it back on your TV forgive my ignorance but, why not play it on a DVD player? Or in fact burn those files onto a DVD and t6hen ply them on a DVD player?

K you dont have a DVD player or a DVD burner...

Right... Get the disk and if you have Nerovision Express 2/3 Import the disk onto the computer and you can then edit those files join them and output them onto a excellent mpeg2 file and do whatever your doing now.... Nerovision Express is more than able to do both those jobs you can even import the files you already have on your HDD...

Give it a whirl....

Comment

• bdooley
      • Dec 2004

I actually have a DVD Player and burner, but I am trying to remove the DVD player from my entertainment center. Instead, I am streaming the movies from my HDD through a digital media receiver (D-Link DSM-320).

I am looking for the highest quality possible MPEG-2 converter to do so...

Comment

• Floppy

mmmm

I connect my TV to the PC via an output on the video card

I can use both at same time...

A bit of reading about D-link http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...flat~start=420

I dont think if you use NeroVision Express 2/3 that you can tell the diference....

I also use The Leadtek PVR 2000 to do some of the hard work 4 me the quality in DVD format is unparalleled

I am not familiar with your gear but I am sure as a new pice of kit it as loads of room for improvement on the software side....
        Last edited by Guest; 29 Dec 2004, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I am looking to concat all of the vobs into one format"

Simply use either "VobMerge" or "VobMerger"...

Comment

• bdooley
            • Dec 2004

Yeah - the DSM-320 does have some software issues, and trying to stream high quality video over an 802.11g network is stretching it. On a wired network, it seems to work well for me - just a few minor issues...

Comment

• Floppy

I would have thought that the the inconsistencies are a mere bug on the software side otherwise there would be a smooth playback even on the transitions from .VOB to .VOB.

My best guess is that there may be a "spin" down in the transmission once it finishes reading one .VOB from the PC to the receiver and the "spin" up Once it starts on the NEXT .VOB may not be compensating quickly enough...

But that is just a guess...

Have a look in settings and see if there is any option that would relate to pause in between file transmission or something of the sort that could account for these inconsistencies...

Otherwise just use Nerovision to Import the disk into Mpeg2 and not the DVD structure and join them all together....

Shame it doesnt support .VOBs >1GB it should though...

Comment

Working...