Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oceans11
    • Feb 2005

Need help picking out a DVD burner

Hello all, 1st time at this forum. I'm looking to buy my first DVD/CD R/RW drive & would like some suggestions. I see prices have really come down. DVD burners used to be $300+, one's I'm looking at are around $100. So far I've seen these 3 at newegg & I like them but don't really know if they're good. you tell me.

1st Choice:

Sony Internal 16X DVD+R / Double Layer/DVD+RW Drive, Model DRU720A
    $115.99
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...131-244&depa=0

2nd Choice:

Plextor 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Burner with s/w and Black and Beige Bezels, Model PX-716A/SW
    $114.99 - $30 Rebate
    Link:

3rd Choice:

LG Electronics DVD+/-RW 16X Mulitformat Drive, Model GSA-4163BI
    $73.99
    Link:

I'd like to hear what you think of any of these + your personal choices.
    Thanks!
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Hi oceans11

A good place to start would be http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and take a look at other peoples comments

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

Well, I guess you can say I'm a bit partial. I recommend the Sony. I have the Sony DRU-510A. I've never made a coaster that wasn't my fault or media related.

Comment

• oceans11
        • Feb 2005

Hmmm. Checked out Mig$y's site but they didn't have any comments for Sony DRU 720A. They had alot for jmet's though. It got hammered. That's why it's so hard to make up your mind. An older model (perhaps the 510A) is gonna get knocked. The newer ones might not have any reviews yet. The Plextor reviews were 75% good, 25% bad. So that means I'll wait longer, keep checking this post for other responses. I'd like to hear from someone who owns one of these exact models. Thank you both for taking the time to help me. When I've figured out which burner to get I'll see if there's a forum here to ask about a good home theater player. My current one won't play burned CD's/DVD's.

Comment

Working...