Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArmandTanzarian
    • Dec 2004

Last five minutes crash

I've backed up over 50 dvds without problem. I'm using Datawrite yellow 8x disks at 4x speed.

Recently my backups have started locking up when I play them. They work perfectly for practically the whole film, and then start to break up, then freeze about 5 or ten minutes befor the end.

What causes these problems and why does it only affect the last few minutes?
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Most likely the cause is, bad media being used. Cheaper, crappy media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, therefore would explain why it starts to "break up, freeze" 5 to 10 min before the end.

Another possible cause is that your stand alone DVD player is over heating, but unlikely. I can almost guarantee you its the media.

Previously having success with a certain brand of media, even out of the same batch. You could have a bad disc out of that batch, or even a bad batch of disc.

Comment

• ArmandTanzarian
      • Dec 2004

After a lot of failures I eventually settled on Datawrite Yellow 8x. They have been fine for about the last 50 backups.

Now they seem to be having problems. Maybe the latest batch are duff. Which is a real blow since I've just bought 75 of them on the strength of their previous performance.

btw.

Why is only the last few minutes ever affected?

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

"Why is only the last few minutes ever affected?"
        See my previous reply.

Comment

Working...