Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacob
    • Sep 2002

encoding troubles..ne suggestions?

i have tried encoding dvds - divx several times and still havent got it working
    1. I ripped with smartripper - all VOBs were correct
    2. i encoded with vidomi but when i went to play divx file my pc crashed
    3. I tried encoding with xmpeg, 4hrs into encoding i got error
    "Cannot Encode. Check the output file is not in use"

Any help would be much appreciated
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Read the guides at doom9.org or divx-digest.com

Two popular choices which you can try are divx 3.11 alpha Nandub+SBC control, or Gordion Knot with divx 5.02

Comment

• mnd
      • May 2002

Read also "Tips and Tricks for Xmpeg 4.5 " on this forum at

Perhaps these tips can help you

Comment

• Rooster6975
        Smart Chicken
        • Mar 2002

Sounds like you have more than just DivX problems

Vidomi will make you a good DivX. I have used it many times. If your PC crashes when you attempt to play it, I would suggest that your problem is much deeper than problems encoding.

Are you using win98 by chance? I would highly recommend you move to Win2K or XP if you are going to commence encoding DVDs. Your PC should never crash on a simple playback. The player may crash on a bad AVI, but your PC should not go with it.

I suggest you reinstall your OS to start from scratch. I hate it when people give me that advice when I post with a problem, but it has always worked. I now install the OS in C:, and all programs in D:. When everything is going just the way I want it, with all programs installed, I Ghost the C: partition to CD-RW with Norton Ghost. Then, if I run into uncorrectable problems, or weird behaviour, I simply play back the ghost onto my C: drive. I have a perfectly restored system in less than 15 minutes. Also, since the vast majority of the programs I had previously installed are in the restored registry, I don't have to reinstall anything. If I find that there is a new program I use alot, then after a restore, I re-Ghost the partition to my CD-RW to have that included in the registry for the next restore. Works like a charm, and I find I only restore about once every 6 months.

A lot of work to initially set up, but worth the headache because afterwords, there is absolutely nothing to it when your system starts misbehaving. One click and 15 minutes later you have a perfectly running system.

Cheers,
        Rooster

Comment

Working...