Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raymondh
    • Sep 2002

Gknot - Upgrade for Divx5.02?

I'm using Gknot (.21?) and encoding with Divx4.11 (AC3 sound) for hard drive playback of my DVDs. I love the quality and file size but I don't want to be missing anything by not switching to Divx5.02.

I installed the Divx 5.02 bundle/Gknot 0.26/Gknot patch and starting getting Vdub errors, can't find log errors, and other weird happenings that I believe (now) were codec conflics.

After several uninstalls, reinstalls (as administrator and user) on windows 2000 pro, I finally have the old version of Gknot and Divx 4.11 running good. The Divx bundle still shows in my start menu and I can still run the configurator and even watch movies encoded with 5.02 but when I try to open a 5.02 movie in VDub I get a codec not found error.

What am I missing by not using the most current Divx codec and most current Gknot version? I'm getting file sizes around 1.4 gigs and am fine with that but if I could cut that down to below 1 gig that would be great.

I'm watching movies on a 32" TV connected to the S-video of an ATI AIW Radeon 8500dv.

If I decide to upgrade codecs can someone either give me a step-by-step guide to upgrading or point me to a website please?

Thank you,

Ray
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: Gknot - Upgrade for Divx5.02?

Originally posted by raymondh
    After several uninstalls, reinstalls (as administrator and user) on windows 2000 pro, I finally have the old version of Gknot and Divx 4.11 running good. The Divx bundle still shows in my start menu and I can still run the configurator and even watch movies encoded with 5.02 but when I try to open a 5.02 movie in VDub I get a codec not found error.
    Sounds like you managed to keep the DirectShow divx5 decoder when reinstalling divx4. Exactly how you did this without messing with the registry, I don't know. Virtualdub uses a different decoder (VFW) when it reads a divx file.

What am I missing by not using the most current Divx codec and most current Gknot version? I'm getting file sizes around 1.4 gigs and am fine with that but if I could cut that down to below 1 gig that would be great.
    The divx5 pro codec introduced some nice features like B-frames and GMC. Which improve picture quality at same filesize or reduces the filesize at the same quality. Depending how you look at it.

If I decide to upgrade codecs can someone either give me a step-by-step guide to upgrading or point me to a website please?
    All I can suggest is to try to upgrade, and ask for help when you run into problems. I don't think anyone can write a foolproof guide.

One of the well know problems is caused by installing in the following order

1. Divx5.02
    2. GKnot0.21 full install
    3. upgrade to 0.26.

The problem with this is that the GKnot 0.21 full install, may install the divx4 codec which overrides the divx5 install.

It would be better to install in the order:

1. GKnot0.21 full install
    2. upgrade to 0.26.
    3. Divx5.02

But of course I can't promise that this will solve your problem
    Last edited by khp; 2 Oct 2002, 09:13 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• raymondh
      • Sep 2002

Should I uninstall 4.11 from the add/remove programs menu? How about the "clear registry" option in Gknot, should I click that?

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Should I uninstall 4.11 from the add/remove programs menu?
        This should not be nessesary, the divx5 install should quite happily override divx4.

How about the "clear registry" option in Gknot, should I click that?
        I don't think there is any reason to do that when upgradeing, but of course it can't hurt you either.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...