Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kchri01
    • Oct 2002

DivX colordepth

I have seen DivX files with a colordepth of 16 bits, but i haven't found a tool so that I can reduce the colordepth from 24 to 16 bits when i convert avi files.
    Is there anyone there can help me finding such a tool ???
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

VirtualDub...

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Divx files are always encoded in the YUV2 colorspace, which is 16 bits per pixel. The divx codec support 2 source color formats, YUV2 and RGB24. If the encoding app feeds the codec with RGB24, the codec will convert this to YUV2 before it encodes each image.

The reason some divx files showup as 24 bit color and other only say 16 bit color, is that this is controlled by a flag in the avi file, which is set by the encoding app, like virtualdub, the encoding app doesn't know about the colorspace conversion done by the codec, so it just sets the colordepth flag to display which colorspace was used to send the video to the codec.

So when you use 'Fast recompression' on a source that decodes in YUV2 in virtualdub, virtualdub will say that the colordepth in the output file is 16 bit.
      If you use 'Full processing mode' virtualdub will convert the source to RGB24 before feeding it to the codec. And because of this virtualdub will flag the avi file as 24 bit color.
      But the only real difference between the two files, will be due to rounding errrors, when converting from YUV2 to RGB24 and back.
      Last edited by khp; 3 Oct 2002, 09:13 AM.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...