• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vaughn
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2002

blocky with Gknot/divx5 pro?

Well i just can't understand it. I use the 2CD function in Gknot with the divx5 pro codec and with an average size movie i sometimes get alot of blocking. I was going to post an image just to show it but as soon as i convert it into a Jpeg image the photo smooths out and does not display it. However with black & white files (there the worst) i am getting bad blocking on certain objects, i mean noticable when you are looking from 8 feet away it is still very bad. Also there tends to be a green hue to the blocking. I have even tried the noise filter with no success. Any ideas?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Well that's a hard question to fully answer.

Low contrast areas are always troublesome. Even at maximum quality you might sometimes see a few visible blocks. The only solution is to increase the post processing durring playback.

But for any bad cases, I would suggest that you try running a quality based encoding at 100% in virtualdub, using the avs file created by GKnot. If it comes out more than 50% lager than your desired file size I suggest going for a lower resolution.

Alternativly you might also try running the script mentioned in my first posting in this thread

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files

Which is what I use to check the quality of my divx5 encodings.
    Last edited by khp; 5 Nov 2002, 02:57 PM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...