Long pauses of black screen - DivX5 bug??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martinlw
    • Feb 2003

Long pauses of black screen - DivX5 bug??

I'm new to this, but I think there might be a bug with divx5 - I was wondering if anyone else had this problem - I was trying to encode parts of a leunig dvd which contains about 5 main VOBs and inside each about 6-12 chapters - each one a one minute cartoon, complete with credits.

What happens is that the resulting divx video plays the first cartoon fine, gets to the credits and then after the credits finish - that is, the break between the first and 2nd cartoon, there's a long black screen (like 6-7 seconds of it) that is NOT in the originally ripped VOB and is NOT even in the preview window of xmpeg.

I also tried flask and the same thing happened.

Thus I assume it is something to do with the divx codec, and I've fiddled with some settings, but to no avail. Any ideas?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

This is almost cirtainly caused by the source, or the encoder. If it was caused by divx you would also get async audio.

But ofcourse it is very easy to check for sure. Look at the playback length of the source and the divx encoded video. If they match start looking at individual frames.

Are you using ifo parsing in xmpeg/flask ? or ar you just the vob files directly into flask/xmpeg?
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• martinlw
      • Feb 2003

Yeah its being caused by divx 5.0.3 and I also checked 5.0.2 - it did the same.

Actually I didn't check the total time of the video...

I've tried both using IFO parsing and the VOB files, and get the same results But its only with this one DVD, "Leunig Animated".... other movies I've encoded (in either ifo or straight vob) turn out perfect.

Have you had a similar experience?

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by martinlw
        Yeah its being caused by divx 5.0.3
        I really really hate having to repeat myself. But you are almost cirtainly incorrect.

Try using any other codec. You will most probably get the same result.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...