Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyez73
    • Aug 2003

Mpeg 1 -> Cropped Mpeg1 -> Mpeg2 (DVD)

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm looking at doing the following ....

At present I have a lot of TV shows which I have recorded off with my Mpeg TV card the problem is that video has 2 or 3 lines of white dots/lines at the top of the screen. I tried lots of different things to remove them at source but it would seem I'm stuck with them

I'm just about to buy a Pioneer 106 DVD writer and would love to write these to standard DVDR's so I would like to do the following (if possible) ....

Crop the top 3 lines off the recorded mpeg1 & Burn to DVDR's !!! (simple right

Is there a quick and easy way to do this?

Do I need to reencode? if so which is the best way to reencode without losing much of the current quality and cropping maybe at the same time. (I have lots of free disc space approx 120gb)

If so is there an application which will let me do a batch mode on lots of files?

When and if I can do the above .... can I burn them direct to a DVDR so they will play like a standard movie? I would imagine that a dvd with hold about 10 episodes which I could choose from maybe a front menu.

I tried playing around with Dr. Divx which will let me crop the video but of course I end up with Divx

Thanks !!!

Rich
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Crop the top 3 lines off the recorded mpeg1"

TMPGEnc>>Advanced tab>>Clip frame

Comment

• eyez73
      • Aug 2003

Setarip

I've downloaded TMPGEnc from http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html ... but can't find an Advanced tab when I set the application I get the wizard.

Can you help?

Comment

• StarRide
        • Aug 2003

I dont think u can crop a movie without re-encoding... but yeah, TMPGEnc has the crop feature, during the project wizard, page 3/5 theres a clip frame check box, or when u get out of the wizard, click on the settings button, then up top theres an advance tab with clip frame check box option to crop ur movie

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To eyez73

"Setarip

I've downloaded TMPGEnc from http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html ... but can't find an Advanced tab when I set the application I get the wizard.

Can you help?"

1) Exit the "wizard" mode

2) Click on the "Load" radiobutton (lower right area of primary window)

3) Doubleclick on "Unlock.mcf"

4) Click on "Advanced" tab

5) Put a checkmark next to, and then doubleclick on "Clip frame"

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• eyez73
            • Aug 2003

Getting there

Thanks for the help ... I'm managed to crop the mpeg1 so it removes the lines ... I set the encoding to standard vcd which told about 30 minutes for a 45 minute file.

As I wish to burn the mpeg1 to a DVD movie disc is the standard VCD output the correct option? Would I be better if I created a DVD - PAL (Low resolution) then add them as a menu item on my first DVD?

Is there a simple DVD burning package which will let me add each mpeg1 (or whatever) file as menu options ie. Press "1 for Series 1, Episode 1", "2 for Series 1, Episode 2" etc ...

Rich

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Would I be better if I created a DVD - PAL (Low resolution) then add them as a menu item on my first DVD?"
              Yes. Based on your choice of words, I presume you've already discovered the TMPGEnc template/"wizard" for creating such files. (Other posters can/will undoubtedly suggest alternate methods)

"Is there a simple DVD burning package which will let me add each mpeg1 (or whatever) file as menu options ie. Press "1 for Series 1, Episode 1", "2 for Series 1, Episode 2" etc ..."

More correctly, you're asking about an authoring program. One such simple to use program (which includes burning as well, if you're O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP) is "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than "TMPGEnc")

Comment

Working...