X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kostasmaster
    • Oct 2003

Encoding The Animatrix

Hello ppl

It seems that The Animatrix is the toughest movie I 've ever tried to encode. I 've tried tens of different approaches but none of them was good enough. So I 'm seeking for your help. Here we go:

First of all, which resolution should I use? Gordian Knot indicates that if I'm going for 1 cd (my case, i.e. 912 kbps), I should use less than 544x224. This is 60.5% of the compressibility test. Others say that I should use more because downsizing at anime is pretty bad, while others say that I should downsize even more (abt. 430x176) in order to have a better result at the bitrate given. I tried all three cases, all of them look bad when I preview the movie fullscreen.

Secondly, I have the dilemma: Which resize filter? Almost always I use Lanczos, but is Lanczos a good choice for anime @ 912 kbps? Again, I tried all resize options and only Neutral Bicubic SEEMS to produce a slightly better quality (less artifacts near edges).

Another issue is the Codec Options. Should Psycho Visual Enhancements be used for anime? I usually set them to "Fast" and never have any problem but I 've heard that for anime it makes picture worse. Then we have GMC and Q-Pel. I never use Q-Pel and I use GMC rarely. Now? I 've read somewhere that Q-Pel is recommended for anime. Is it true?

Finally, I tried to use some avisynth and/or virtualdub filters to remove the artifacts but they did more harm than good to my picture.

If anyone has encoded The Animatrix and had a good result, please post settings.

P.S.: Using PAL version of The Animatrix, no Interlacing problems. Also using DVD2AVI 1.77.3, Gordian Knot 0.28.5, VirtualDub 1.5.6, DivX 5.1

Greetz from Greece
    Last edited by kostasmaster; 14 Oct 2003, 12:42 AM.
Working...